Register to reply

Why does diarrhea burn when it leaves?

by caljuice
Tags: burn, diarrhea, leaves
Share this thread:
caljuice
Mar15-11, 02:26 AM
P: 70
I was discussing this with my friend about this. He said it's because of stomach acid not being properly neutralized causing the burning. I said it's because of undigested food chemicals or something and you have to wipe so much more. I thought if it was the acid it would cause more much damage to the intestine? So what's the science behind the burning?
Phys.Org News Partner Medical research news on Phys.org
Controlling childbirth pain tied to lower depression risk
The human parasite Leishmania is a probiotic for the fly that carries it
Gene marker may predict breast cancer response to tamoxifen
Pythagorean
Mar15-11, 05:02 AM
PF Gold
P: 4,262
1. chemistry: digestive enzymes attacking soft tissue (usually they're all done by the time they come out with normal digestion, but they're still doing their work with diarrhea)

2. physics: water is abrasive; high water content is more agitating. It's also often carrying half-digested chunks of food which can be abrasive too.
Dadface
Mar15-11, 05:34 AM
PF Gold
P: 2,009
Food spiced with chillies can cause diarrhoea and the active ingredient that causes the sensation of heat(is it capsicum?)can burn on the way out as well as on the way in,I think.

Fredrik
Mar15-11, 10:08 AM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 9,224
Why does diarrhea burn when it leaves?

Quote Quote by Dadface View Post
(is it capsicum?)
Capsaicin.
nismaratwork
Mar15-11, 12:34 PM
P: 2,284
I'd add... if you have diarrhea, you're likely to be excreting quite a bit, in bouts between which you clean yourself. There is mechanical abrasion involved there, and the cramping that is often related to the 'pooping' can also cause very small tears in the rectum which is pretty sensitive.

It shouldn't concern you on its own.
ormondotvos
Mar18-11, 02:08 AM
P: 9
Use baby wipes, very gently.
nismaratwork
Mar18-11, 01:25 PM
Quote Quote by ormondotvos View Post
Use baby wipes, very gently.
I'd add, a 50-50 Witch Hazel and water solution is also very helpful, but it WILL sting like the devil at first, then sooth in the long run.

Long run... heh.
Pythagorean
Mar18-11, 06:09 PM
PF Gold
that remind me of a postpartum remedy aptly dubbed a "crotchicle" wherein witch hazel is used.
Isaacsname
Mar18-11, 07:12 PM
P: 60
I'll bite.

What's the punchline ?
Pythagorean
Mar18-11, 07:15 PM
PF Gold
Me? No punchline. It's basically a flow pad dipped in a witch hazel solution and frozen for pain relief after the huge stress of giving birth.
nismaratwork
Mar18-11, 09:50 PM
Quote Quote by Pythagorean View Post
Me? No punchline. It's basically a flow pad dipped in a witch hazel solution and frozen for pain relief after the huge stress of giving birth.
Yep... birthing is soooo not as pretty and lovely as some seem to think. Still, Witch Hazel... great stuff in a pinch for a numer of uses... albeit the one you describe is probably my least favorite to contemplate.
nismaratwork
Mar18-11, 09:52 PM
Quote Quote by Isaacsname View Post
I'll bite.

What's the punchline ?
How hard did you wish that there was a punchline?

I remember learning about how to place a chest-tube... I also wondered what the punchline was... turns out that's not funny either. "Just stick it through the intercostal space, HARD..." is NOT comforting.
Pythagorean
Mar18-11, 11:05 PM
PF Gold
birth is magnificently wonderful
nismaratwork
Mar19-11, 01:31 PM
Quote Quote by Pythagorean View Post
birth is magnificently wonderful
The prelude is magical, the aftermath spectacular, the process is really just a mess IMO.

Register to reply