Register to reply

Advice for great books on physics Please...

by MannyP2011
Tags: advice, books, physics
Share this thread:
MannyP2011
Mar15-11, 12:54 PM
P: 12
I would like a recommendation for a book that is specifically focused on waves. If anyone could recommend me one I would really appreciate it .

Also if you know of any Great books on specifically Electricity && Magnetism, Thermodynamics, Optics, and Newtonian Mechanics...

**I already have a Calculus-Based Physics book that covers the subjects, but I'd like to believe that 4 chapters for Waves, Thermodynamics, or Optics does not give those topics justice...**
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Experts defend operational earthquake forecasting, counter critiques
EU urged to convert TV frequencies to mobile broadband
Sierra Nevada freshwater runoff could drop 26 percent by 2100
fss
Mar15-11, 04:58 PM
P: 1,185
Since you provide zero helpful information such as your level of mathematical ability, level of understanding of "the basics", previous coursework, etc. it's hard to give you a good answer. Therefore, I'll suggest "Philosophiae Naturalis Principia Mathematica" by Isaac Newton. It's in Latin, and one of the best around for Newtonian Mechanics.
qspeechc
Mar16-11, 02:12 PM
P: 792
Um, no. I doubt you would find Principia very interesting or helpful. All the proofs are heavily geometric, and the subject was not nearly as clear as it is today; physics education has changed a great deal since Newton's time. Perhaps you could leave Principia as side-reading in your own time if you are interested.
And the OP did say he has taken a calculus-based physics course.

For Newtonian Mechanics there is Taylor
For E&M the most popular book is Griffiths

You will need to know vector calculus and ODEs at least.

Can't help you with the other topics I'm afraid.

MannyP2011
Mar16-11, 05:01 PM
P: 12
Advice for great books on physics Please...

Ive finished Differential Equations and Linear Algebra, I am also learning about complex variables and Partial Differential Equations independently while I'm waiting to transfer for my Junior Year .

I just want some books more indepth than the average Calculus-Based General Physics book.... Thanks and If you or anyone else has any other suggestions I'm open to them....
Daverz
Mar17-11, 01:05 AM
P: 900
Quote Quote by MannyP2011 View Post
Ive finished Differential Equations and Linear Algebra, I am also learning about complex variables and Partial Differential Equations independently while I'm waiting to transfer for my Junior Year .

I just want some books more indepth than the average Calculus-Based General Physics book.... Thanks and If you or anyone else has any other suggestions I'm open to them....
The Feynman Lectures are an obvious recommendation.
qspeechc
Mar17-11, 07:55 AM
P: 792
I just saw that you want a book focused on waves. I am not exactly sure what you want, but there is the book byVibrations and Waves by French
issacnewton
Mar28-11, 10:12 PM
P: 610
Quote Quote by qspeechc View Post
Um, no. I doubt you would find Principia very interesting or helpful. All the proofs are heavily geometric, and the subject was not nearly as clear as it is today; physics education has changed a great deal since Newton's time. Perhaps you could leave Principia as side-reading in your own time if you are interested.

There's another version of the Principia written the Nobel Laureate S.Chandrasekhar
"Newton's Principia for the Common Reader" . It might be fun to learn....

Register to reply