Advice for great books on physics Please...

by MannyP2011
Tags: advice, books, physics
MannyP2011
Mar15-11, 12:54 PM
P: 12
I would like a recommendation for a book that is specifically focused on waves. If anyone could recommend me one I would really appreciate it .

Also if you know of any Great books on specifically Electricity && Magnetism, Thermodynamics, Optics, and Newtonian Mechanics...

**I already have a Calculus-Based Physics book that covers the subjects, but I'd like to believe that 4 chapters for Waves, Thermodynamics, or Optics does not give those topics justice...**
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
SensaBubble: It's a bubble, but not as we know it (w/ video)
The hemihelix: Scientists discover a new shape using rubber bands (w/ video)
Microbes provide insights into evolution of human language
fss
Mar15-11, 04:58 PM
P: 1,185
Since you provide zero helpful information such as your level of mathematical ability, level of understanding of "the basics", previous coursework, etc. it's hard to give you a good answer. Therefore, I'll suggest "Philosophiae Naturalis Principia Mathematica" by Isaac Newton. It's in Latin, and one of the best around for Newtonian Mechanics.
qspeechc
Mar16-11, 02:12 PM
P: 792
Um, no. I doubt you would find Principia very interesting or helpful. All the proofs are heavily geometric, and the subject was not nearly as clear as it is today; physics education has changed a great deal since Newton's time. Perhaps you could leave Principia as side-reading in your own time if you are interested.
And the OP did say he has taken a calculus-based physics course.

For Newtonian Mechanics there is Taylor
For E&M the most popular book is Griffiths

You will need to know vector calculus and ODEs at least.

Can't help you with the other topics I'm afraid.

MannyP2011
Mar16-11, 05:01 PM
P: 12

Advice for great books on physics Please...

Ive finished Differential Equations and Linear Algebra, I am also learning about complex variables and Partial Differential Equations independently while I'm waiting to transfer for my Junior Year .

I just want some books more indepth than the average Calculus-Based General Physics book.... Thanks and If you or anyone else has any other suggestions I'm open to them....
Daverz
Mar17-11, 01:05 AM
P: 886
Quote Quote by MannyP2011 View Post
Ive finished Differential Equations and Linear Algebra, I am also learning about complex variables and Partial Differential Equations independently while I'm waiting to transfer for my Junior Year .

I just want some books more indepth than the average Calculus-Based General Physics book.... Thanks and If you or anyone else has any other suggestions I'm open to them....
The Feynman Lectures are an obvious recommendation.
qspeechc
Mar17-11, 07:55 AM
P: 792
I just saw that you want a book focused on waves. I am not exactly sure what you want, but there is the book byVibrations and Waves by French
issacnewton
Mar28-11, 10:12 PM
P: 607
Quote Quote by qspeechc View Post
Um, no. I doubt you would find Principia very interesting or helpful. All the proofs are heavily geometric, and the subject was not nearly as clear as it is today; physics education has changed a great deal since Newton's time. Perhaps you could leave Principia as side-reading in your own time if you are interested.

There's another version of the Principia written the Nobel Laureate S.Chandrasekhar
"Newton's Principia for the Common Reader" . It might be fun to learn....

Register to reply