Dissociation constant of weak acid

In summary, the conversation is about preparing for a chemistry lab where the goal is to determine the dissociation constant (Ka) of a weak acid. This will be done using the indicator method, which involves mixing ethanoic acid (0.02M, 5cm3) and sodium ethanoate (0.02M, 5cm3), and adding 10 drops of bromocresol green. The introduction to the lab provides the equation Hln(aq) <-----> H+(aq) + ln-(aq) and the Ka value for bromocresol green (2 x 10^-5 mol dm-3), which will be used to answer the questions: 1) What is the ratio of
Abder-Rahman
I'm preparing for a chemistry lab relating to "Determination of the dissociation constant of a eak acid".

In part of the lab, I will b doing the following for measuring "Ka" for ethanoic acid using the indicator method:

1- Mix ethanoic acid (0.02M, 5cm3) and sodium ethanoate (0.02M, 5cm3).
2- Add bromocresol green (10 drops) and mix thoroughly.

And, in the introduction to the lab, I'm given this information:
Hln(aq) <-----> H+(aq) + ln-(aq)
ka(Hln) = [H+][ln-] / [Hln]
ka(Hln) for bromocresol green = 2 x 10^-5 mol dm-3

Provided that, how can I answer those questions:
1- What is the ratio of [ln-]/[Hln] in the CH3COOH/CH3COONa mixture?
2- Using this equation "ka(Hln) = [H+][ln-] / [Hln]", calculate [H+] in the CH3COOH/CH3COONa mixture.
3- What is the value of Ka for ethanoic acid?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Explain complete procedure you are expected to follow, looks to me like there is something missing.

1. What is the dissociation constant of a weak acid?

The dissociation constant of a weak acid is a measure of its tendency to dissociate into ions in an aqueous solution. It is represented by the symbol Ka and is defined as the ratio of the concentrations of the dissociated ions to the concentration of the undissociated acid.

2. How is the dissociation constant of a weak acid determined?

The dissociation constant of a weak acid can be determined experimentally by measuring the pH of a solution of the acid at different concentrations and then using the Henderson-Hasselbalch equation to calculate the Ka value. It can also be calculated using the known equilibrium concentrations of the acid and its ions.

3. What factors affect the dissociation constant of a weak acid?

The dissociation constant of a weak acid is affected by several factors, including temperature, ionic strength, and the presence of other ions in the solution. It is also dependent on the chemical structure of the acid, with factors such as the strength of the acid and the presence of conjugate bases influencing the Ka value.

4. How does the dissociation constant of a weak acid relate to its strength?

The dissociation constant of a weak acid is directly related to its strength; a higher Ka value indicates a stronger acid. This is because a strong acid will dissociate more completely, resulting in a higher concentration of dissociated ions in the solution and a higher Ka value.

5. What is the significance of the dissociation constant of a weak acid?

The dissociation constant of a weak acid is an important parameter in understanding the behavior of the acid in solution. It can provide information about the acid's strength, its equilibrium state, and its behavior in different conditions. It is also useful in predicting the pH of a solution containing the weak acid and in determining the concentrations of the acid and its ions at equilibrium.