Register to reply

Computer has intermittent freezing problems

by leroyjenkens
Tags: freezing, intermittent
Share this thread:
leroyjenkens
Mar23-11, 05:43 PM
P: 538
When I first turn on my computer in the morning, it will have intermittent freezing problems when I'm trying to do stuff. Like if I come here and click on something, it will freeze for a few seconds, but my cursor can still move, but it's just slow. After everything I do, it will stop, take a little while to load and then I can do something else. Sometimes the browser will say "not responding" and then it will start working again in a few seconds. It does this until the computer has been on for a little while, then it's normal, almost like it has to warm up first. Anyone know what could be causing this?
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
FIXD tells car drivers via smartphone what is wrong
Team pioneers strategy for creating new materials
Team defines new biodiversity metric
JaredJames
Mar23-11, 05:50 PM
P: 3,387
You have too much starting when the computer starts and so until all of that has run and cleared you can't do much. (Imagine 30 programs trying to run all at once when it starts and you trying to work on top of it.)

If you're running windows, type msconfig into run and hit return (enter).

Click on the startup tab and then deselect everything in there except for anti-virus and from my experience anything Apple related.

Hit apply and then ok and it should prompt for restart.

Now restart it and see how it runs.
leroyjenkens
Mar24-11, 06:21 PM
P: 538
I tried that but it's still doing the same thing. I'm afraid this computer is going to crap out on me soon. I've had it a while and I use it a lot. Think this is signs of a near death?

JaredJames
Mar24-11, 06:29 PM
P: 3,387
Computer has intermittent freezing problems

How much memory does it have?

How much free HD space?

What is the processor?

Register to reply