Programmable logic device question

In summary: Parallax Propeller is a reasonably priced microcontroller that can switch two outputs at a given time interval. - Alternatives for switching two signals at once include RF relays or programmable logic controllers.
bob987
I don't know a lot about PLD's so hopefully someone here can help me. Is there a relatively cheap PLD that can switch between 2 inputs every given amount of time, like every second or every 5 seconds? I'm just trying to find what I am looking for and can look up and read through the data sheets to make sure it meets my needs. Thanks for the help.

Engineering news on Phys.org
I don't know exactly what your application is, but if you're looking for an easy to use microcontroller that's relatively inexpensive, I'd suggest the Parallax Propeller. It's a hobby microcontroller, but it can easily handle switching two outputs at a given time interval, and I think it's only about 8$ for the chip itself and a little more for the support components.

What kind of switch you need depends on what kind of signal you're switching. If you're switching between something fast, like video, you need something solid state, or something that's made to work with high-speed signals - like an RF relay. The same holds true if you're switching between tiny signals, like from thermocouples.

As to the device, it sounds like you're describing a time delay relay. Some act as delays, and others can be programmed to switch back and forth. They all cost too much for what they do, but make it up with convenience. You might look at McMaster Carr, Allied Electronics, or Mouser Electronics for one of these.

For elaborate sequencing of events, you can buy a little programmable logic controller that has a few inputs and relay outputs. You generally need a small 24V power supply for it as well. We used to use these from OMRON, but there are any number of companies that sell these. Again, all are grossly overpriced, but are usually easy to program with a PC and they tend to be bullet-proof.

If you need something a lot less robust, but cheaper, there are any number of little hobby companies that sell printed circuit boards with a processor on them. If you look in a Make-Magazine or Nuts & Volts, they'll be any number of these. Getting something with a chip you can program in Basic helps. In any case, don't depend on these little boards to gaurd the treasures of your kingdom, because a distant spark can usually send them reeling in confusion.

Best of luck,

- Mike

1. What is a programmable logic device (PLD)?

A programmable logic device (PLD) is a type of integrated circuit (IC) that can be programmed to perform specific functions. It is designed to be flexible and can be reprogrammed multiple times, making it a cost-effective solution for various applications. PLDs are commonly used in digital logic circuits, such as in microcontrollers, consumer electronics, and industrial automation.

2. What are the types of programmable logic devices?

There are three main types of programmable logic devices: programmable read-only memory (PROM), programmable logic array (PLA), and programmable array logic (PAL). PROMs are pre-programmed by the manufacturer and cannot be reprogrammed, while PLAs and PALs can be programmed by the user. Other types of PLDs include field-programmable gate arrays (FPGAs) and complex programmable logic devices (CPLDs).

3. How do you program a PLD?

PLDs are usually programmed using a hardware description language (HDL), such as Verilog or VHDL. These languages allow the user to describe the desired logic functions and then use a compiler to generate a programming file that can be loaded onto the PLD. Some PLDs also have built-in programming tools that allow for easier programming without the need for an external compiler.

4. What are the advantages of using a PLD?

PLDs offer several advantages over traditional fixed-function integrated circuits. They are highly flexible and can be reprogrammed as needed, reducing the time and cost associated with designing and producing custom ICs. They also allow for faster prototyping and testing, as changes can be made easily without having to create a new physical circuit. Additionally, PLDs are more power-efficient and have a smaller form factor compared to traditional ICs.

5. What are some common applications of PLDs?

PLDs are used in a wide range of applications, including automotive electronics, telecommunications, industrial control systems, and consumer electronics. They are commonly used for functions such as data processing, signal conditioning, and control logic in these industries. PLDs are also popular in the field of embedded systems, where they can be used to control and interface with various components of a system.