Register to reply

Sending signal to motor to make it for period of time

by ponyboy
Tags: motor, period, sending, signal, time
Share this thread:
ponyboy
Mar24-11, 12:07 PM
P: 4
I am looking for ideas on how to make a motor run for a certain period of time, but I do not have much experience in circuits. The design is to have the system start at the push of a button. The design can be mechanical or electrical. As of now I am wondering if there is a device that will keep a circuit closed for a period of time and allow current to flow through and therefore run the motor for the certain time.

Thank You.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
World's largest solar boat on Greek prehistoric mission
Google searches hold key to future market crashes
Mineral magic? Common mineral capable of making and breaking bonds
viscousflow
Mar24-11, 04:40 PM
P: 273
What type of motor are you running? And what is it doing? This will dictate the type of system (electrical/mechanical) you want to set up.
ponyboy
Mar24-11, 06:08 PM
I am really not sure what kind of motor. Any simple motor will work just fine. Like I said, I am new to this kind of thing. I am just expecting a motor that will turn and axle when current is sent through it.

viscousflow
Mar24-11, 07:31 PM
P: 273
Sending signal to motor to make it for period of time

You may want to check this kit from arduino out. It has step by step instructions for these kind of projects:

http://www.sparkfun.com/products/10173
ponyboy
Mar27-11, 10:02 AM
Even though it does seem useful, that kit is a little over the project budget of $50. Any oher ideas?
SirAskalot
Mar27-11, 12:06 PM
P: 136
Time delay relay circuit is probably the simplest way. Google it and you might find some schematics that suits your need.

If not, report back.
ponyboy
Mar28-11, 10:57 PM
I've found some schematics, but I still need some help. What types of components should I get? What values (such as resistance and voltage) should they have?

This is what I have come up with so far:
-555 timer
-electric motor
-mini prototype circuit board
-resistors
-batteries
-momentary push button/switch
-maybe capacitors

I am just wondering what values each compenent should have. If I need anything else or don't need something please let me know

Thank You!

Register to reply