What is the best DC motor for spinning a vortex impeller at 3000 rpm?

In summary, the individual is seeking a recommendation for a 12v DC motor to use in their custom project of vortexing water. They need the motor to spin a 1.5" OD stainless shaft at 3000 rpm, with plans to experiment with speeds between 1000 and 3000 rpm using a motor controller. They currently have a 1/2 HP, 12v DC motor but are having trouble finding a suitable power supply for it. They are open to choosing a smaller motor and potentially utilizing their current power supply, which outputs 30 amps. They also mention the option of using a BLDC motor and controller, which would be easier and less expensive. They are looking for an "educated guess" for
lpm
TL;DR Summary
proper DC motor recommendation for custom project
I am looking for a recommendation on the proper DC motor to purchase for a custom project.

My project involves vortexing water using an impeller, which resides in a 1.5" OD stainless shaft residing in sealed bearings - not a whole lot of resistance, easily turned by hand. I need to spin this shaft as high as 3000 rpm. I will install a motor controller to adjust the speed, looking to experiment between 1000 and 3000 rpm. I am using homemade pulleys and a v-belt for the drive mechanism.

I currently have a 1/2 HP, 12v DC motor with running 40 running amps. This motor was a freebie, not my first choice. I am having a hard time working the right power supply to run this motor (needs high starting amps) - before I go too far down this road, I'm wondering if it's better to choose a more suitable motor. I suspect 1/2 HP is overkill - perhaps something smaller won't draw as many amps...maybe can make use of my current power supply, which outputs 30 amps.

Any recommendations as to an "educated guess" for the proper 12v DC motor that can spin this shaft/impeller up to 3k rpm would be a much appreciated.

Engineering news on Phys.org
A BLDC motor plus controller should be much easier to implement, and less expensive also.

Here's an example, 200w 3000 RPM, $12.

Often the controllers are sold with the motor as a package. You should be able to connect the controller to an Arduino or a Raspberry Pi to get software control.

Can you use or adapt a kitchen blender? Run a jumper cable to your car battery? Automobile heater blower motor?

1. What is a vortex impeller and how does it work?

A vortex impeller is a type of impeller used in pumps to create a swirling motion in the fluid being pumped. This motion creates a low-pressure area in the center of the impeller, allowing the fluid to be drawn in and then expelled at high velocity. This design is especially effective for handling fluids with high levels of solids or debris.

2. What factors should be considered when choosing a DC motor for spinning a vortex impeller at 3000 rpm?

The most important factors to consider are the power and torque requirements of the impeller, the speed and voltage capabilities of the motor, and the efficiency and durability of the motor. It is also important to consider the size and weight of the motor, as well as any specific requirements for the application.

3. What are the advantages of using a DC motor for spinning a vortex impeller at 3000 rpm?

DC motors offer precise speed control and high torque capabilities, making them well-suited for applications such as pumping with a vortex impeller. They also tend to be more efficient and durable than other types of motors, making them a cost-effective choice in the long run.

4. Are there any specific types of DC motors that are recommended for spinning a vortex impeller at 3000 rpm?

There are several types of DC motors that can be suitable for this application, including brushed and brushless motors. However, it is important to choose a motor that is specifically designed for high-speed and high-torque applications, with a high enough voltage and power rating to meet the requirements of the vortex impeller.

5. Can a DC motor be used with a variable frequency drive (VFD) to control the speed of the vortex impeller?

Yes, a DC motor can be used with a VFD to control the speed of the vortex impeller. This allows for even greater precision and control over the pump's performance, as the VFD can adjust the motor's speed to match the changing demands of the application.