Space time distortion grid representations

In summary, the first image is a 2D representation of the distortion on ONE of those planes/slices, but it is difficult to comprehend/visualise in 3D due to the great distortion.
Darlo770
Hi, I'm a newbie here, i joined just now purely to ask this question that's been on my mind recently. Now i apologise if this question is fundamentally wrong (which it probably is), but I'm only the average person with an amateur interest in physics :P So don't laugh.
Firstly, as you know, we can visual the 'canvas' of space-time as a grid, such as here: (ignore the planet for now)

Spacetime_curvature.png
However, the above image is just a 2d 'slice'. It's obviously missing the 3rd dimension, because when we introduce the 3rd dimension, we can visualise space time like a 3d grid:

22fig03.jpg

Don't miss my point, the first image sort of is 3D, but what i mean is; it's only ONE of those flat 2D 'planes/slices' from the 3D grid/cube.Now, this is my question. If the first image is only a 2D representation of the distortion on ONE of those planes/slices, what would it look like in 3D? Immersed inside the 3D grid. A kind of 3D spherical distortion.I can imagine the first image in 3D, a sort of gentle outward 'expansion', 'bubble', 'warp', etc.. in space time. The space-time sort of curving around the sides of the body.

However, the extent of the distortion in the black hole's image makes it (for me at least) very hard to comprehend/visualise it in 3D: (if you get what I'm saying)
The distortion is too great for it fit within it's own bounds, if you get what i mean. Does that makes sense? I'm sorry this is very hard to describe.

183951.image0.jpg
Thanks, and again i apologise if there's something I've missed/don't understand properly.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Actually that image is a 2-D slice of a 4-D object which is being warped. As the name suggests, space-time consists of the 3 spatial dimensions and 1 time dimension, so really it's the warping in this 4-D "fabric" that "is" gravity. It is important not to ignore the warping in time.

Darlo770, good graphics ! Did you make them ?

(although of limited value in understanding spacetime curvature).

Cool, thanks everyone. I'm starting to understand it better :)

1. What is a space time distortion grid representation?

A space time distortion grid representation is a way of visualizing and understanding the warping of space and time in the presence of massive objects such as stars and black holes. It is often used in the study of general relativity to demonstrate the effects of gravity on the fabric of space-time.

2. How does a space time distortion grid representation work?

A space time distortion grid representation works by using a grid structure to illustrate the curvature of space and time caused by massive objects. The grid lines represent the paths that objects would follow in the absence of gravity, and the bending of these lines shows the warping of space-time due to gravity.

3. What are the applications of space time distortion grid representations?

Space time distortion grid representations have numerous applications in the field of astrophysics and cosmology. They are used to study the behavior of massive objects in space, such as black holes and neutron stars, and to understand the effects of gravity on celestial bodies and the universe as a whole.

4. Are there any limitations to space time distortion grid representations?

While space time distortion grid representations are a useful tool for understanding the effects of gravity, they are limited in their ability to accurately depict more complex systems. They also do not account for the effects of other forces, such as electromagnetism, which can also play a role in the behavior of objects in space.

5. How do space time distortion grid representations relate to Einstein's theory of general relativity?

Einstein's theory of general relativity states that gravity is not a force between masses, but rather the curvature of space and time caused by the presence of massive objects. Space time distortion grid representations visually demonstrate this concept by showing how gravity warps the fabric of space-time, in accordance with Einstein's theory.