Register to reply

General relativity and jet travel makes you fat?!

by pletharoe
Tags: makes, relativity, travel
Share this thread:
pletharoe
Apr4-11, 02:57 AM
P: 3
Hi everyone!
I'm a pilot on a private jet, in conversation one of the crew mentioned that "You get younger when flying." Now I had to correct him saying that actually it's just that time slows down as you go faster. Unfortunately for the flight attendant, going faster also means that she puts on weight! So here's a conundrum for you guys:

At 500 knots (257 m/s) how much slower does time pass (relative to when we're stationary and how much more does my 50kg flight attendant weigh?

Yes, I know it's a ridiculous question, but I'm intrigued. Thanks for any answers!
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
World's largest solar boat on Greek prehistoric mission
Google searches hold key to future market crashes
Mineral magic? Common mineral capable of making and breaking bonds
George Jones
Apr4-11, 03:50 AM
Mentor
P: 6,231
I think that your interested in effects due to special relativity. The appropriate factor is

[tex]\frac{1}{\sqrt{1 - \frac{v^2}{c^2}}},[/tex]

where c is the speed of light. In this case, it is

1.000 000 000 000 37

There is a altitude effect due to general relativity.
Drakkith
Apr4-11, 04:00 AM
Mentor
P: 11,565
From your frame of reference in the plane, you and your flight attendant have no increase in mass. When you slow down and land neither of you will have any more mass or wieght than you did when you first started.

russ_watters
Apr4-11, 05:52 AM
Mentor
P: 22,239
General relativity and jet travel makes you fat?!

I suppose you could relate the time dilation factor to the number of calories the flight attendant consumes/burns per year...
pletharoe
Apr4-11, 11:35 AM
P: 3
Hi Guys, thanks for the answers.
George:
I used your equation, if "V" is in meters per second, I get a square root of a minus number so I used a bit of poetic license to deduce that the "V" should be a factor relative to the speed of light (257 m/s / 299792458 m/s) is that right?
If so, the outcome of the equation is 1.00000000000037. Which sounds like a reasonable number (a very small factor). So am I right that the flight attendant is 1.00000000000037 times lighter relative to stationary people?
Do you have a similar equation for time? Since the process of ageing is only relative to her frame of reference, when she lands, she will have experienced slower ageing than the "stationary" world.
nitsuj
Apr4-11, 11:56 AM
P: 1,097
Quote Quote by russ_watters View Post
I suppose you could relate the time dilation factor to the number of calories the flight attendant consumes/burns per year...

Now that's clever ;)
Buckleymanor
Apr4-11, 06:15 PM
P: 488
Quote Quote by Drakkith View Post
From your frame of reference in the plane, you and your flight attendant have no increase in mass. When you slow down and land neither of you will have any more mass or wieght than you did when you first started.
How does that happen.Lets say you had an identical twin who was left behind.You both weighed the same at take off and you both wore the same type of watch set to the same time for demonstration purposes.
You on the plane ages less and your watch ticks at a slower rate.
When you land you and your watch have expended less energy than your identical twin on the ground you won't have any more mass than when you first started but you will have more mass than your twin.
Drakkith
Apr4-11, 06:24 PM
Mentor
P: 11,565
Quote Quote by Buckleymanor View Post
How does that happen.Lets say you had an identical twin who was left behind.You both weighed the same at take off and you both wore the same type of watch set to the same time for demonstration purposes.
You on the plane ages less and your watch ticks at a slower rate.
When you land you and your watch have expended less energy than your identical twin on the ground you won't have any more mass than when you first started but you will have more mass than your twin.
You are correct. However there is no additional mass added to yourself after you stop and land. The only difference in mass would be because of time effects, not velocity.

Register to reply