3phase power calculations

by roro36
Tags: 3 phase, calculation, power
roro36
Apr11-11, 04:58 AM
P: 24
I have never really studied the heavy side of electrical engineering. We are currently running a machine that runs off 3 phase supply. I want to measure the kW or KVAh on this machine using a CT which is all already set up. The Current at maximum on 1 phase reads at about 130A, and the phases are balanced. So I wanted to know how to calculate the power of the system regarding the fact I'm only measuring 1 phase? Although it seems to me that the current flowing in 1 phase is the tatal current used by the machine in any case, so I would calculate 400V*130A*sqrt3 = Power and just times this by hours and divide by 1000 to kVAh.
Phys.Org News Partner Engineering news on Phys.org
Researchers propose network-based evaluation tool to assess relief operations feasibility
Large streams of data warn cars, banks and oil drillers
Engineering student developing traffic forecasts
uart
Apr11-11, 06:12 AM
Sci Advisor
P: 2,751
Yes, assuming that your phase to phase voltage is 400 volts RMS then that is correct for the KVA-hrs. If you want to know the kW-hrs you'll also need to know the phase angle.
LotusEffect
Apr13-11, 06:30 PM
P: 18
I believe this is wrong if 400V is your phase to phase voltage.

Power in a three-phase system is 3*phase to neutral voltage*current on one phase. So this would be 3*400V*130A.

aks786
Apr14-11, 07:47 AM
P: 28

3phase power calculations

3-phase system:

Power = 3 x Power of 1-phase = 3 x phase to neutral voltage x current in one phase x power factor

or
Power = sqrt3 x phase to phase voltage x current in one phase x power factor

as phase to phase voltage is sqrt3 x phase to neutral voltage, both equation will result same.
LotusEffect
Apr14-11, 10:29 AM
P: 18
Wasn't sure about the second equation but yeah this looks correct.

And I can't edit my last post but in "3*400V*130A", instead of 400V I meant "400V/sqrt3" if 400V is indeed the phase to phase voltage as mentionned earlier.
kaerma
Apr15-11, 08:13 AM
P: 1
there have some already product, that can use CT, measure curren,voltage,PF,Wh etc. there I suggest you can find the meter here http://www.cqbluejay.com/view_50.html
Eng.Hatem
Apr23-11, 08:02 PM
P: 1
which power do you want to measure apparent power, active power, or reactive power?

Register to reply