Using complex numbers to model 3 phase AC

In summary: The angle between the two phasors is 60°.In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the L-L voltage in a three phase, Y connected transformer. The phasor diagram shows that the voltages are 120° out of phase and the L-L voltage can be derived using trigonometric functions. The exactness of the calculation is dependent on the balanced nature of the three phases, with √3 being an exact calculation in the ideal case. The conversation also clarifies the role of the (-) sign in adding the vectors and the importance of the angle between phasors.
Guineafowl
TL;DR Summary
How to derive the voltages seen in a three phase, Y connected transformer.
Assume a transformer as above, with 230V L-N, and I want to work out the L-L voltage. A phasor diagram will show me that the voltages are 120° out of phase.

(230∠0°) + (230∠120°) = (230cos0 + j230sin0) + (230cos120 + j230sin120) = 230 + (-115 + j199.2)

115 + j199.2 = 230∠60

What I’m looking for is, of course, 400V. I know √3 is involved, but how, and is that an exact calculation or a useful rule of thumb?

This is not homework.

Engineering news on Phys.org
The specified 230 Vac is RMS, so the signal amplitude is 230 * √2 * Sin( ).

Guineafowl said:
Summary:: How to derive the voltages seen in a three phase, Y connected transformer.

is that an exact calculation or a useful rule of thumb?
How exact do you need to be? In reality, the three phases are never exactly balanced.

Edit: But in the ideal balanced case, ##\sqrt{3}## is exact.

Last edited:
anorlunda said:
How exact do you need to be? In reality, the three phases are never exactly balanced.
It’s not important, just a theoretical question really.I think I have it worked out. Because, on the phasor diagram, the L-N voltages oscillate either side of the origin (0V), the angle between each phasor and the nearest is actually 60°.

So:
VL-L = (230∠0°) + (230∠60°) = (230) + (230cos60 + j230sin60)

= (230) + (115 + j199.2) = 345 + j199.2

|VL-L| = 398.4 V (∠30°)

EDIT: And because the magnitude of L-L voltage depends on cos 30°, and that of L-N depends on cos 60°, the ratio of voltages (400:230) is similar to the ratio of cos 30:cos 60, which is 1.73, or ≈√3.

Last edited:
Likes anorlunda
When L1 is at zero volts, L2 will be at +60°, and L3 will be at –60°.
The L2 to L3 voltage will then be 2 * Sin( 60° ) = 2 * √(3/4) = √3.

Likes Guineafowl
According to vectorial diagram:

Attachments

• Vectorial Diagram.jpg
    Vectorial Diagram.jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 118
Likes Guineafowl
Babadag said:
According to vectorial diagram:
Thanks - I see you’ve ignored the (-) sign when adding the vectors. I assumed that if the voltage magnitudes are of opposite sign they subtract. Is that not correct?

Guineafowl said:
I see you’ve ignored the (-) sign when adding the vectors.
Phasors point from the origin, neutral or ground.
The Line to Line voltage is therefore not the sum, it is the voltage difference.

Likes Babadag

1. What are complex numbers and how are they used to model 3 phase AC?

Complex numbers are numbers that have both a real and imaginary component. In the context of 3 phase AC, they are used to represent the voltage and current in each phase. The real component represents the magnitude of the voltage or current, while the imaginary component represents the phase shift.

2. Why are complex numbers necessary for modeling 3 phase AC?

Complex numbers are necessary because they allow us to accurately represent the properties of 3 phase AC, such as phase shift and magnitude. Using only real numbers would not capture the full complexity of 3 phase AC.

3. How do complex numbers help with analyzing 3 phase AC circuits?

Complex numbers allow us to perform mathematical operations, such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division, on the voltage and current values in each phase. This makes it easier to analyze and understand the behavior of 3 phase AC circuits.

4. Can you give an example of how complex numbers are used to model 3 phase AC?

One example is the use of complex numbers to represent the voltage and current in a delta-connected 3 phase AC circuit. In this case, the voltage in each phase can be represented by a complex number with a magnitude of the line voltage and an angle representing the phase shift.

5. Are there any limitations to using complex numbers to model 3 phase AC?

One limitation is that complex numbers cannot accurately represent non-sinusoidal waveforms, which can occur in real-world 3 phase AC systems. In these cases, more advanced mathematical techniques may be needed to accurately model the system.