Physics movies (mainstream movies with physics in them)

In summary: And I'm pretty sure that the Earth isn't rotating.Not Hollywood, but it did go through some smaller theaters.
Dr Lots-o'watts
A movie called "The Big Bang" will be coming out soon, and although it's more of a detective/action movie, it seems to be somewhat set on a particle physics backdrop. (Incidentally, the tall evil-looking "Russian" is practically from my home town, and it's interesting to see a guy I use to cross at school and the local gym show up along side Antonio Banderas and Snoop Dog).

Anyway, not counting the science-fiction and fantasy genre (space, time-travel etc.), what other movies have physics or a physicist as a prominent part of it? I'm thinking dramas involving a physicist, movies set around a well-known lab. I thought a list could be fun, because I can't think of that many, and I'm less into sci-fi thant I use to be. (The more mainstream the better.)

Physics news on Phys.org
Angels and Demons by Dan Brown. One of the main characters works at CERN (and it starts there).

Infinity, staring Matthew Broderick as Richard Feynman.

jarednjames said:
Angels and Demons by Dan Brown. One of the main characters works at CERN (and it starts there).

So, I'm assuming that scientific accuracy is not a requirement, then?

jhae2.718 said:
So, I'm assuming that scientific accuracy is not a requirement, then?

Well, I drew a line between sci-fi and 'real physics places' and this is what I came up with.

Fat man and little boy. The story of the physicist, scientist, personal, and military involved with making the first nuclear weapons.

“A Serious Man”, it is a dark comedy. The main character is a professor of physics.

The following movie has no physicist/physics, just put in it in here in case you may be interested:

“Fermat’s Room”, it is a Spanish thriller. Essential, a group of prominent mathematicians are trapped in a room and they have to solve problems in order to avoid being crushed to death.

Pi.

It's about a mathematician though, not a physicist and I don't think it would fit into mainstream but nevertheless, it's an excellent film and I couldn't overlook it.

Edit:

Whatever Works. "Protagonist" was a physics professor at Columbia and according to his own self, is a "Nobel prize winning brain". Does noooot involve any physics at all though.

"Copenhagen" with Daniel Craig. About a meeting between Heisenberg and Bohr in 1941. Probably not mainstream, but it was a good movie.

brainpushups said:
"Copenhagen" with Daniel Craig. About a meeting between Heisenberg and Bohr in 1941. Probably not mainstream, but it was a good movie.

I remember watching that movie in a history of science class, and all I could think the entire time was "what's James Bond doing in this movie?"

I watched The core . the movie in which to drill down the core is the only way to save Earth from catastrophe

macnin said:
I watched The core . the movie in which to drill down the core is the only way to save Earth from catastrophe

I doubt that movie has any physics in it...

micromass said:
I doubt that movie has any physics in it...

A little geophysics and some talk on fluid dynamics.

"Proof" is a film about mathematics. Interesting film.

*edit: oh and "A Beautiful Mind"... also about mathematics :D *

Chain Reaction, if I recall correctly. Probably not the most rigorous physics though

Blasphemy. "The Core" has no grounds in science. Everyone knows that flat objects have no core.

• Haha
Likes Slimy0233

1. What are some examples of mainstream movies with physics in them?

Some examples of mainstream movies with physics in them include Interstellar, The Theory of Everything, A Beautiful Mind, The Martian, and Contact.

2. How accurate are the physics portrayed in these movies?

The accuracy of physics portrayed in movies can vary. While some movies strive for scientific accuracy, others may take creative liberties for the sake of the story. It is important to remember that these are fictional movies and not always scientifically accurate.

3. How do these movies use physics to enhance the storytelling?

Many movies use physics to enhance the storytelling by using scientific concepts to create suspense, action, or drama. For example, in Interstellar, the concept of time dilation is used to create tension and urgency for the characters.

4. Can watching these movies help me understand physics better?

While these movies may provide a surface-level understanding of some physics concepts, they should not be relied upon as a primary source of learning. It is important to consult reliable scientific sources for a better understanding of physics.

5. Are there any common misconceptions about physics in movies?

Yes, there are often misconceptions about physics in movies. Some movies may oversimplify complex concepts or present them in a way that is not scientifically accurate. It is important to approach these movies with a critical mind and not take everything at face value.