Register to reply

Refraction phenomenon

by sahil_time
Tags: phenomenon, refraction
Share this thread:
sahil_time
Apr13-11, 10:23 AM
P: 108
If Light rays fall on a transparent glass then they get refracted!!
They first get absorbed by the electrons and then to another electron and so on till it emerges out of the glass!!
But y does the light travel in straight path in the glass itself....how do the electrons particularly send the light in one and only one Direction??Infact light can be emmited in any direction by the electron??SO the Rectilinear Motion in highly Unlikely??
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Physicists discuss quantum pigeonhole principle
First in-situ images of void collapse in explosives
The first supercomputer simulations of 'spin?orbit' forces between neutrons and protons in an atomic nucleus
Drakkith
Apr13-11, 05:03 PM
Mentor
P: 11,532
I think your view is a misunderstanding of how light travels through a materiel. It interacts with the matter, but I don't believe that the electrons of the matter actually absorb and re-emit the photons.
pallidin
Apr13-11, 09:11 PM
P: 2,292
Quote Quote by Drakkith View Post
I think your view is a misunderstanding of how light travels through a materiel. It interacts with the matter, but I don't believe that the electrons of the matter actually absorb and re-emit the photons.
Yeah, this is hard for me to remember, but I believe there were several previous threads/posts on this subject.
Apparently, the issue of photon transference through a medium is quite complicated; not solely involving the "electron absorption/re-emmision issue"

davenn
Apr13-11, 09:31 PM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 2,486
Refraction phenomenon

Quote Quote by Drakkith View Post
actually thats exactly what Richard Feynman says happens.

It was in another topic a couple of weeks ago a similar topic was discussed and from memory it was "cragar" that put some links to some online Feynman videos in which he catagorically stated that the light photons we see reflected, refracted are different ones that entered/interacted with the material ... glass or whatever

Now I had up till that time never heard of this before, it left me quite intrigued

Dave
Antiphon
Apr13-11, 11:05 PM
P: 1,781
Sure. If it were not this way most photons would pass through the glass at c.
Drakkith
Apr14-11, 05:07 PM
Mentor
P: 11,532
Quote Quote by davenn View Post
actually thats exactly what Richard Feynman says happens.

It was in another topic a couple of weeks ago a similar topic was discussed and from memory it was "cragar" that put some links to some online Feynman videos in which he catagorically stated that the light photons we see reflected, refracted are different ones that entered/interacted with the material ... glass or whatever

Now I had up till that time never heard of this before, it left me quite intrigued

Dave
Hrmm...I remember from previous discussions being told that the photons were NOT absorbed and re-emitted, but they still interacted with the glass somehow. I'm not sure on the details.
davenn
Apr15-11, 03:48 AM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 2,486
Cragar provided my memory with a kick ;)

watch Richard Feynman's video lectures on light here.....

http://vega.org.uk/video/subseries/8

cheers
Dave

Register to reply