How to make a Piezoelectric Generator?

In summary, piezoelectricity is a recent discovery that allows for the generation of small amounts of electricity from various objects. You can find information on how to do this on various websites by searching for "piezoelectric energy harvesting."
Kalrag
Recently I have learned of the Piezoelectric effect. I have seen several videos where people have made small generators using this effect. Can anyone give me step-by-step inscutions o point me in the right direction?

Engineering news on Phys.org
The first step is to make a list, on which you could list all of the devices you have.
The second step is to have a rough idea about the average size of the droplets you plan to generate. This thing determines the inner diamter of the capillaries you are going to use.
After these two steps, please add the information you collected to the thread and I will instruct you to go further.

I think Chuck88 is thinking of something other than piezoelectrics?

A contemporary application of piezoelectric generation is to build one into the heel of a shoe, so as you walk it charges the battery in your iPod. :smile:

There is a piezoelectric generator of sorts in some cigarette lighters and most gas ring lighters.

NascentOxygen said:
I think Chuck88 is thinking of something other than piezoelectrics?

A contemporary application of piezoelectric generation is to build one into the heel of a shoe, so as you walk it charges the battery in your iPod. :smile:

There is a piezoelectric generator of sorts in some cigarette lighters and most gas ring lighters.

Maybe you are right. I am major in mechanics and I mainly focus on the methanics part when I am solving the problems.

Use Google and the search terms "piezoelectric energy harvesting" to find out what others have already done:

http://artfuldodger.hubpages.com/hub/Piezoelectric-Energy-Harvesting

plus lots more...

Last edited by a moderator:
Can quartz keep generating electricity if the compression is constant or do you get leakage this way?

Quartz (and other piezoelectric crystals) produce a voltage which remains fairly constant as long as the stress applied to the crystal is applied. The voltage produced is measured from one side of the material to the other. Of course, if the surrounding environment is conductive, forget any voltage generation. If the crystal is surrounded by some resistive material, then the charge would bleed off. Do not expect to generate lots of power from this process. For a great introduction to the process plus a movie of the action of a disc deformation vs voltage see:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Piezoelectricity

It isn't so much the pressure as it is the deformation of the crystal. As long as the crystal continues to be deformed, a voltage across the surface will be generated. If the pressure is constant (ie it is deformed to an extent, and held that way), then no voltage will be generated.

Got it! Thank you.

1. How does a Piezoelectric Generator work?

A Piezoelectric Generator uses the piezoelectric effect, which is the ability of certain materials to generate an electric charge when they are subjected to mechanical stress. When pressure is applied to a piezoelectric material, it causes the atoms within the material to shift, creating an imbalance of positive and negative charges, thus generating an electric current.

2. What materials are needed to make a Piezoelectric Generator?

The main materials needed to make a Piezoelectric Generator are a piezoelectric material, such as quartz, ceramic, or certain types of crystals, and electrodes to collect the electric charge. Other materials may be needed depending on the specific design and application of the generator.

3. How do you create a strong enough electric charge to power devices?

The strength of the electric charge generated by a Piezoelectric Generator depends on the amount of mechanical stress applied to the piezoelectric material. To create a strong enough charge to power devices, the generator can be designed with multiple layers of piezoelectric material, or the material can be subjected to high levels of pressure or vibration.

4. Can a Piezoelectric Generator be used to generate renewable energy?

Yes, a Piezoelectric Generator can be used to generate renewable energy. It can be used to harness energy from mechanical sources, such as vibrations from machinery or footsteps, and convert it into electricity. This makes it a sustainable and environmentally friendly source of energy.

5. What are the applications of Piezoelectric Generators?

Piezoelectric Generators have a wide range of applications, including powering small electronic devices, energy harvesting, and sensing and actuating systems. They are also used in medical devices, such as pacemakers, and in industrial settings for vibration monitoring and control.