Register to reply

How to make a Piezoelectric Generator?

by Kalrag
Tags: generator, piezoelectric
Share this thread:
Kalrag
Apr20-11, 09:42 AM
P: 100
Recently I have learned of the Piezoelectric effect. I have seen several videos where people have made small generators using this effect. Can anyone give me step-by-step inscutions o point me in the right direction?
Phys.Org News Partner Engineering news on Phys.org
Student develops filter for clean water around the world
Developing the next evolution in underwater communication
Compact vibration harvester power supply with highest efficiency opens door to "fix-and-forget" sensor nodes
Chuck88
Mar2-12, 02:15 AM
P: 37
The first step is to make a list, on which you could list all of the devices you have.
The second step is to have a rough idea about the average size of the droplets you plan to generate. This thing determines the inner diamter of the capillaries you are going to use.
After these two steps, please add the information you collected to the thread and I will instruct you to go further.
NascentOxygen
Mar2-12, 02:59 AM
HW Helper
Thanks
P: 5,139
I think Chuck88 is thinking of something other than piezoelectrics?

A contemporary application of piezoelectric generation is to build one into the heel of a shoe, so as you walk it charges the battery in your iPod.

There is a piezoelectric generator of sorts in some cigarette lighters and most gas ring lighters.

Chuck88
Mar2-12, 03:02 AM
P: 37
How to make a Piezoelectric Generator?

Quote Quote by NascentOxygen View Post
I think Chuck88 is thinking of something other than piezoelectrics?

A contemporary application of piezoelectric generation is to build one into the heel of a shoe, so as you walk it charges the battery in your iPod.

There is a piezoelectric generator of sorts in some cigarette lighters and most gas ring lighters.
Maybe you are right. I am major in mechanics and I mainly focus on the methanics part when I am solving the problems.
Bobbywhy
Mar2-12, 04:22 AM
PF Gold
P: 1,881
Use Google and the search terms "piezoelectric energy harvesting" to find out what others have already done:

http://artfuldodger.hubpages.com/hub...rgy-Harvesting

plus lots more...
phanie12.geo
Apr7-12, 10:30 PM
P: 11
Can quartz keep generating electricity if the compression is constant or do you get leakage this way?
Bobbywhy
Apr7-12, 11:34 PM
PF Gold
P: 1,881
Quartz (and other piezoelectric crystals) produce a voltage which remains fairly constant as long as the stress applied to the crystal is applied. The voltage produced is measured from one side of the material to the other. Of course, if the surrounding environment is conductive, forget any voltage generation. If the crystal is surrounded by some resistive material, then the charge would bleed off. Do not expect to generate lots of power from this process. For a great introduction to the process plus a movie of the action of a disc deformation vs voltage see:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Piezoelectricity
Fischer777
Apr8-12, 12:45 AM
P: 81
It isn't so much the pressure as it is the deformation of the crystal. As long as the crystal continues to be deformed, a voltage across the surface will be generated. If the pressure is constant (ie it is deformed to an extent, and held that way), then no voltage will be generated.
phanie12.geo
Apr10-12, 05:18 PM
P: 11
Got it! Thank you.

Register to reply