Register to reply

Liquid To solid

by sam013024
Tags: liquid, solid
Share this thread:
sam013024
Apr28-11, 08:41 AM
P: 1
Name a substance that will change from liquid state to solid state on heating.
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
UCI team is first to capture motion of single molecule in real time
And so they beat on, flagella against the cantilever
Tandem microwave destroys hazmat, disinfects
Bloodthunder
Apr28-11, 08:51 AM
P: 174
And remaining chemically unchanged? Nothing does that.

You could have your ceramics which change from a liquid structure to a solid structure, but that's with the formation of bonds on heating and all that.
tiny-tim
Apr28-11, 09:02 AM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks
P: 26,148
eggy-weggy

QuantumPion
Apr28-11, 09:04 AM
P: 778
Liquid To solid

Quote Quote by Bloodthunder View Post
And remaining chemically unchanged? Nothing does that.

You could have your ceramics which change from a liquid structure to a solid structure, but that's with the formation of bonds on heating and all that.
The first thing that came to my mind was concrete, but that is a chemical reaction and doesn't really count.

Is it possible for some sort of solid solution to have a liquid phase at a lower temperature than a solid phase? E.g. one component of the solution precipitates out with increasing temperature while the other component turns to liquid?
Mapes
Apr28-11, 08:55 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
PF Gold
P: 2,532
Quote Quote by QuantumPion View Post
Is it possible for some sort of solid solution to have a liquid phase at a lower temperature than a solid phase?
It is possible, even for reversible transformations. It's only required that the high-temperature phase (the solid) has a higher entropy than the low-temperature phase (the liquid). As you can imagine, this is pretty unusual. I seem to remember that it's been demonstrated in some carefully designed polymer systems, though. Will look to see if I can find the details.
DaveC426913
Apr28-11, 09:06 PM
P: 15,319
Quote Quote by tiny-tim View Post
eggy-weggy
You read my mind.
Bloodthunder
Apr29-11, 02:32 AM
P: 174
Changes chemically :)
Andy Resnick
Apr29-11, 08:27 AM
Sci Advisor
P: 5,539
Quote Quote by tiny-tim View Post
eggy-weggy
Like!
Mapes
May2-11, 10:09 AM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
PF Gold
Quote Quote by Mapes View Post
It is possible, even for reversible transformations. It's only required that the high-temperature phase (the solid) has a higher entropy than the low-temperature phase (the liquid). As you can imagine, this is pretty unusual. I seem to remember that it's been demonstrated in some carefully designed polymer systems, though. Will look to see if I can find the details.
Ah, I found it: Plazanet et al., "Freezing on heating of liquid solutions," J Chem Phys 121:5031 p5031 (2004), discussed here. But a look at the subsequent literature indicates that the physics is still being worked out.
QuantumPion
May2-11, 10:30 AM
P: 778
Quote Quote by Mapes View Post
Ah, I found it: Plazanet et al., "Freezing on heating of liquid solutions," J Chem Phys 121:5031 p5031 (2004), discussed here. But a look at the subsequent literature indicates that the physics is still being worked out.
Interesting, although it sounds like that is still just a chemical reaction, although notably a reversible one.
Mapes
May2-11, 10:40 AM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
PF Gold
Quote Quote by QuantumPion View Post
Interesting, although it sounds like that is still just a chemical reaction
Right, or put another way, a multi-component system (with additional factors such as mutual solubility) rather than a single-component system.

Register to reply