Register to reply

Liquid To solid

by sam013024
Tags: liquid, solid
Share this thread:
sam013024
Apr28-11, 08:41 AM
P: 1
Name a substance that will change from liquid state to solid state on heating.
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Mapping the optimal route between two quantum states
Spin-based electronics: New material successfully tested
Verifying the future of quantum computing
Bloodthunder
Apr28-11, 08:51 AM
P: 174
And remaining chemically unchanged? Nothing does that.

You could have your ceramics which change from a liquid structure to a solid structure, but that's with the formation of bonds on heating and all that.
tiny-tim
Apr28-11, 09:02 AM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks
P: 26,157
eggy-weggy

QuantumPion
Apr28-11, 09:04 AM
P: 767
Liquid To solid

Quote Quote by Bloodthunder View Post
And remaining chemically unchanged? Nothing does that.

You could have your ceramics which change from a liquid structure to a solid structure, but that's with the formation of bonds on heating and all that.
The first thing that came to my mind was concrete, but that is a chemical reaction and doesn't really count.

Is it possible for some sort of solid solution to have a liquid phase at a lower temperature than a solid phase? E.g. one component of the solution precipitates out with increasing temperature while the other component turns to liquid?
Mapes
Apr28-11, 08:55 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
PF Gold
P: 2,532
Quote Quote by QuantumPion View Post
Is it possible for some sort of solid solution to have a liquid phase at a lower temperature than a solid phase?
It is possible, even for reversible transformations. It's only required that the high-temperature phase (the solid) has a higher entropy than the low-temperature phase (the liquid). As you can imagine, this is pretty unusual. I seem to remember that it's been demonstrated in some carefully designed polymer systems, though. Will look to see if I can find the details.
DaveC426913
Apr28-11, 09:06 PM
P: 15,319
Quote Quote by tiny-tim View Post
eggy-weggy
You read my mind.
Bloodthunder
Apr29-11, 02:32 AM
P: 174
Changes chemically :)
Andy Resnick
Apr29-11, 08:27 AM
Sci Advisor
P: 5,513
Quote Quote by tiny-tim View Post
eggy-weggy
Like!
Mapes
May2-11, 10:09 AM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
PF Gold
Quote Quote by Mapes View Post
It is possible, even for reversible transformations. It's only required that the high-temperature phase (the solid) has a higher entropy than the low-temperature phase (the liquid). As you can imagine, this is pretty unusual. I seem to remember that it's been demonstrated in some carefully designed polymer systems, though. Will look to see if I can find the details.
Ah, I found it: Plazanet et al., "Freezing on heating of liquid solutions," J Chem Phys 121:5031 p5031 (2004), discussed here. But a look at the subsequent literature indicates that the physics is still being worked out.
QuantumPion
May2-11, 10:30 AM
P: 767
Quote Quote by Mapes View Post
Ah, I found it: Plazanet et al., "Freezing on heating of liquid solutions," J Chem Phys 121:5031 p5031 (2004), discussed here. But a look at the subsequent literature indicates that the physics is still being worked out.
Interesting, although it sounds like that is still just a chemical reaction, although notably a reversible one.
Mapes
May2-11, 10:40 AM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
PF Gold
Quote Quote by QuantumPion View Post
Interesting, although it sounds like that is still just a chemical reaction
Right, or put another way, a multi-component system (with additional factors such as mutual solubility) rather than a single-component system.

Register to reply