Register to reply

Calculating water pressure

by rick326
Tags: pressure, water
Share this thread:
rick326
Oct26-04, 08:27 AM
P: 1
Given only the rate of flow in gpm and the inside diameter of a hose in inches, is it possible to calculate the pressure of water leaving the hose?
I have no experience or training in this area but it seems to me that more information would be required. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Detecting neutrinos, physicists look into the heart of the Sun
Measurement at Big Bang conditions confirms lithium problem
Researchers study gallium to design adjustable electronic components
niehls
Oct26-04, 08:44 AM
P: 25
it's been a while, but i believe that Bernoulli's equation could help. Check that one out
Chi Meson
Oct26-04, 08:55 AM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
P: 1,772
Without getting into very advanced fluid dynamics, it is assumed that the water pressure, after the water has left the hose, is same as atmospheric pressure.

If you are referring to the pressure of the water against a surface (as the water splashes on a surface like your hand, after it leaves the hose) then the "pressure" would be the force of the water/cross-sectional-area of the water stream (assumed to be the area of the hose?) P=F/A

From the volume flow rate (gal/min) you can calculate the "mass-flow rate" (mass/sec), and assuming all the water is stopped, the mass flow rate times the change in velocity will produce the force.
Ft = m[delta]v , so F=(m/t) x [delta]v

So, yes, the pressure of this stream of water against a surface can be calculated from the information given.

srntcbd
Jan21-09, 09:33 AM
P: 2
Calculating water pressure

I am trying to calculate the force exerted on a body during high pressure water blasting. The numbers are 36,000psi pump pressure, 5gpm flow rate. lbs of force back pressure is the number I'm looking for. HELP!
russ_watters
Jan21-09, 04:36 PM
Mentor
P: 22,294
You need the velocity, then you use Bernoulli's equation to find the pressure. What is the area of the nozzle?
srntcbd
Jan21-09, 04:47 PM
P: 2
There are two nozzles. Both are 1/8" in diameter.

Register to reply