Issue calculating water pressure due to the constriction of water flow

In summary: No. The downward velocity at point P3 wouldn't be significant, so using Bernoulli, P3 is h=18.1+1.75 mm below the upper surface. So, for this point, using Bernoulli, you would treat it as if it is hydrostatic (even though the pressure at P2 is reduced by the higher velocity, this pressure reduction is recovered below P2).
RawPotatoes
For an experiment where I must be able to control the pressure i attached to a syringe a 'chamber'. The inner diameter of the syringe is 19.3 mm and i will fill water to 17 cm of the syringe bottom (i call this P1), the spout has a inner diameter of 2 mm and a length of 2 mm (i call this P2) and the chamber where i want to know the pressure of has an inner diameter of 13 mm and a length of 3.5 cm (i call this P3) but i am interested of the prssure at 1.75 cm.

Water will constantly be flowing trough this setup which will be vertical, i will use a pump to keep the water level at 17 cm from the bottom of the syringe.

Must i take the fact that the diameter of P3 is smaller into consideration or also the fact that the diameter of P3 is smaller than the one of P1? If i ignore all of this and simply calculate the length form the top of the water surface which will be simply open to air to the point that i am interested in i get a pressure of 1.66 kPa (density of water x gravity x length). Any help is apriciated.

Likes Delta2
Physics news on Phys.org
Please provide a diagram.

Chestermiller said:
Please provide a diagram.
Pressure diagram.png

I hope that this is clear

Likes Delta2
Is the very bottom open to the air? What is the diameter at the very bottom?

Likes RawPotatoes
Chestermiller said:
Is the very bottom open to the air? What is the diameter at the very bottom?
The bottom is open to air and has the same diameter and length as P2

RawPotatoes said:
The bottom is open to air and has the same diameter and length as P2
Then, if we apply the Bernoulli equation between the bottom and point p2, we will find a slight negative gauge pressure at point p2 of ##-\rho g h##, where h = 13 mm.

Likes vanhees71 and RawPotatoes
Chestermiller said:
Then, if we apply the Bernoulli equation between the bottom and point p2, we will find a slight negative gauge pressure at point p2 of ##-\rho g h##, where h = 13 mm.

Sorry but i don't understand. The diameter is 13 mm but length is 11 mm. I am trying to calculate the pressure in the middle of P3.

Sorry. h=4.05 cm. And you said P2, not P3, right?

Likes vanhees71 and RawPotatoes
Chestermiller said:
Sorry. h=3.5 cm. And you said P2, not P3, right?
I am interested in the pressure at the middle of P3, the total height of P3 is 3.5 cm. What i am asking is if i can simply calculate the pressure from the surface of the water which will be constant. I ask this because i believe that since P2 has a smaller diameter that this will lower the pressure that i need to use a different formula to calculate the pressure in the middle of P3.

RawPotatoes said:
I am interested in the pressure at the middle of P3, the total height of P3 is 3.5 cm. What i am asking is if i can simply calculate the pressure from the surface of the water which will be constant. I ask this because i believe that since P2 has a smaller diameter that this will lower the pressure that i need to use a different formula to calculate the pressure in the middle of P3.
No. The downward velocity at point P3 wouldn't be significant, so using Bernoulli, P3 is h=18.1+1.75 mm below the upper surface. So, for this point, using Bernoulli, you would treat it as if it is hydrostatic (even though the pressure at P2 is reduced by the higher velocity, this pressure reduction is recovered below P2).

1. What is water pressure and how is it calculated?

Water pressure is the force that water exerts on a surface. It is typically measured in pounds per square inch (psi) or kilopascals (kPa). To calculate water pressure, you need to know the height of the water column and the density of the water. The formula for calculating water pressure is P = ρgh, where P is the pressure, ρ is the density of water, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and h is the height of the water column.

2. How does the constriction of water flow affect water pressure?

The constriction of water flow can affect water pressure in two ways. Firstly, it can increase the velocity of the water, which in turn increases the kinetic energy and therefore the pressure of the water. Secondly, it can decrease the cross-sectional area through which the water flows, resulting in an increase in pressure due to the conservation of mass principle.

3. What is Bernoulli's principle and how does it relate to water pressure?

Bernoulli's principle states that as the velocity of a fluid (such as water) increases, the pressure decreases. This means that when water flows through a constriction, the velocity increases and the pressure decreases. However, this decrease in pressure is offset by the increase in pressure due to the conservation of mass principle, resulting in an overall increase in water pressure.

4. How can I calculate the water pressure due to a constriction in a pipe?

To calculate the water pressure due to a constriction in a pipe, you will need to know the velocity of the water before and after the constriction, as well as the cross-sectional area of the pipe at both points. Using Bernoulli's principle and the conservation of mass principle, you can then calculate the change in pressure and determine the final water pressure at the constriction.

5. What are some real-world applications of calculating water pressure due to the constriction of water flow?

Calculating water pressure due to the constriction of water flow is important in many engineering and scientific fields. It is used in designing water distribution systems, such as in buildings and cities, to ensure that the water pressure is sufficient for everyday use. It is also crucial in designing and maintaining hydraulic systems, such as dams and irrigation systems. Additionally, understanding water pressure due to constrictions can help in predicting and mitigating potential hazards, such as water hammer in plumbing systems.