[Cosmology] Scale Factor Values

by ajclarke
Tags: cosmology, factor, scale, values
Share this thread:
ajclarke
May12-11, 02:13 PM
P: 35
Hello.

I have been working through some questions and answers to do with cosmology. One of them asks you to consider a model where:

[tex]\Omega_{MO}=3 [/tex]
[tex]\Omega_{\Lambda O}=0.01 [/tex]
[tex]\Omega_{RO}=0 [/tex]
and asks you to show mathematically that the model re-collapses.

Following through the math, I get three values of a: -14.87,1.51 and 13.36.

Clearly the first can be disregarded and unphysical since a cannot be negative, but I can't decide whats the significance between the second two which allows me to isolate the value corresponding to collapse.

Cheers.
Adam
Phys.Org News Partner Space news on Phys.org
What lit up the universe?
Collaboration aims to reduce, treat vision problems in astronauts
Eta Carinae: Our Neighboring Superstars
zhermes
May12-11, 04:35 PM
P: 1,261
What 'math' are you following through with?
BillSaltLake
May12-11, 04:49 PM
PF Gold
P: 184
If a is normalized time, then it may have zero diameter 14.87 time units in the past, first collapse 1.51 in the future, and a "recollapse" later. Not sure if that's correct though.

cristo
May12-11, 04:51 PM
Mentor
P: 8,316
[Cosmology] Scale Factor Values

What is the definition of [itex]\Omega_{s0}[/itex] for some species [itex]s[/itex]? What is [itex]\Omega_{\rm total 0}[/itex] in the universe you are studying?
Chalnoth
May13-11, 12:36 AM
Sci Advisor
P: 4,802
Make use of the second Friedmann equation to make sure that when [itex]H(a)[/itex] goes to zero, [itex]dH/da[/itex] is negative.
ajclarke
May13-11, 05:29 AM
P: 35
Quote Quote by zhermes View Post
What 'math' are you following through with?
I used the equation for the Hubble Parameter as a function of redshift, then changed this over to be a function of scale factor instead.

Quote Quote by cristo View Post
What is the definition of [itex]\Omega_{s0}[/itex] for some species [itex]s[/itex]? What is [itex]\Omega_{\rm total 0}[/itex] in the universe you are studying?
[tex]\Omega_{total 0} = 1[/tex]

I don't understand the first bitof the question I'm sorry.

Quote Quote by Chalnoth View Post
Make use of the second Friedmann equation to make sure that when [itex]H(a)[/itex] goes to zero, [itex]dH/da[/itex] is negative.
I'm uncertain as to how that determines which of the two remaining parameters is the recollapsing universe?
Chalnoth
May13-11, 06:10 AM
Sci Advisor
P: 4,802
Quote Quote by ajclarke View Post
I'm uncertain as to how that determines which of the two remaining parameters is the recollapsing universe?
If the derivative of the Hubble parameter is negative, then it's recollapsing.
BillSaltLake
May13-11, 11:34 AM
PF Gold
P: 184
Don't you have Ωtotal0 equal to 3.01, instead of unity?
George Jones
May13-11, 01:09 PM
Mentor
P: 6,245
Use the second derivative test from elementary calculus. [itex]a\left(t\right)[/itex] has a local maximum at [itex]t = t_1[/itex] if [itex]da/dt \left(t_1 \right) = 0[/itex] and [itex]d^2 a/dt^2 \left(t_1 \right) < 0[/itex]. To find [itex]d^2 a/dt^2 [/itex], differentiate the Friedmann equation.

Register to reply