Converting 3 Phase to Single Phase for UK 240v Power Supply

In summary, this power supply looks like it would be good for basic needs like lighting and small motors, but is not suitable for heavier machinery or for supplying emergency power to the entire building. You will need to get a transfer switch and buy a larger capacity generator.
duracell27
Hi there,

Need your help guys.

I need to convert the attached 3 phase power supply to a normal UK 240v power supply. Can this be easily achieved without major costs in converters/transformers?

photo.jpg

Engineering news on Phys.org
Can you tell us any more about this power supply, such as what its output is?

hi there,

sorry I'm new to this 3 phase business - where or who would i need to ask to find out the answer to your question?

Hello duracell, welcome to Physics Forums.

sorry I'm new to this 3 phase business - where or who would i need to ask to find out the answer to your question?

Why would you want to convert?
Each of the three phases is a supply phase in its own right.

The picture clearly shows UK style single phase sockets at the bottom right of your picture, fed through a conduit.

So I would imagine whatever needs doing is already done.

The picture looks like an industrial supply fed at three phase to supply all the demand. Perhaps the power sockets are connected to one phase the lights to another and some high current machinery to all three?

Hi Studiot,

I have been given http://www.edgetechnology.co.uk/gasgen/RES18.htm"

and i want it to work within my unit. I don't operate heavy machinery in my unit (basic carpentry). would be good to know IF this system will fit my current setup - but from the research online - the generator will only work with single phase, so would be good to know IF and how my current setup can be converted to a single phase.

Last edited by a moderator:
an industrial supply fed at three phase to supply all the demand.

There must be a reason why you unit is fed from a three phase supply. You haven't addressed the rest of my last post.

What is you total VA demand?

If you do not understand this question consult an electrician, qualified in 3 phase. Someone in your company must have filled answered this question in the application for supply form from the supply company.

There are serious regulatory considerations here, no one - especially not a company that relies on electricity to operate - would wish to bypass.

duracell27 said:
Hi Studiot,

I have been given http://www.edgetechnology.co.uk/gasgen/RES18.htm"

and i want it to work within my unit. I don't operate heavy machinery in my unit (basic carpentry). would be good to know IF this system will fit my current setup - but from the research online - the generator will only work with single phase, so would be good to know IF and how my current setup can be converted to a single phase.

You will need a transfer switch to be installed. Cheaper models let you throw the switch manually. More expensive models can operate automatically.

If you are getting three phase power, that could be for one or more of at least a couple reasons. One is that some equipment, typically large heaters, cookers, ovens, or hobs, needs 415 volts, which it would get by connecting between two of the phases. The other is that some equipment, typically motors, needs three phase power. Your single phase 240 volt generator will not operate such equipment. And in some cases, connecting them could cause problems (blown fuses, tripped breaker, short circuits, damaged generator, fire, explosions, death). To get around such issues, you would need to (have an electrician) re-arrange some circuits so only the single phase circuits get single phase power.

How much capacity does this generator have? Or are you planning to buy one with sufficient capacity? If you have not chosen one, yet, maybe the smart step would be to get a three phase model.

Do you need to supply emergency power to the entire building? Or is it good enough to just supply power to a few things that need to keep running?

You really should have the properly licensed electrician survey your situation and make a recommendation.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you know as little as you apparently do then don't touch this with a bargepole. Get some professional help. Apart from possible danger to yourself there is the risk of litigation if there is any third party damage through incorrect connection.

What is "3 Phase to single Phase"?

"3 Phase to single Phase" is a method of converting three-phase electrical power into single-phase electrical power. This is often necessary when a building or household only has single-phase power available, but the equipment or appliances require three-phase power to operate.

Why is 3-phase power used?

Three-phase power is used because it is more efficient and cost-effective for high-power applications. It allows for a smaller, lighter, and less expensive electrical system compared to using single-phase power. It is commonly used in industrial, commercial, and large-scale residential settings.

What is the process of converting 3-phase power to single-phase power?

The process of converting 3-phase power to single-phase power involves using a transformer. The transformer takes in the three-phase power and outputs a single-phase power supply. This can be done using a single transformer or a bank of three transformers connected in a delta or wye configuration.

What are the benefits of using 3-phase to single-phase conversion?

The main benefit of using 3-phase to single-phase conversion is that it allows for the use of equipment and appliances that require three-phase power. This can save money and space by not having to install a separate three-phase power supply. Additionally, 3-phase power is more stable and less prone to voltage fluctuations compared to single-phase power.

Are there any limitations or drawbacks to 3-phase to single-phase conversion?

One limitation of this conversion process is that it can only convert a certain amount of power from three-phase to single-phase. If the equipment or appliances require a large amount of power, multiple transformers may be needed which can be costly. Additionally, the conversion process can cause a slight loss of power, so it may not be suitable for highly sensitive equipment.