Hi,i want to understand how fundamental group of a closed oriented

by seydunas
Tags: fundamental, oriented
seydunas
May17-11, 04:45 PM
P: 39
Hi,

i want to understand how fundamental group of a closed oriented 3-mfd determines all its homology and cohomology gorups. Please can you help me.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Internet co-creator Cerf debunks 'myth' that US runs it
Astronomical forensics uncover planetary disks in Hubble archive
Solar-powered two-seat Sunseeker airplane has progress report
lavinia
May17-11, 06:48 PM
Sci Advisor
P: 1,716
Quote Quote by seydunas View Post
Hi,

i want to understand how fundamental group of a closed oriented 3-mfd determines all its homology and cohomology gorups. Please can you help me.
- Poincare Duality

- The first homology over Z is the abelianization of the fundamental group
seydunas
May18-11, 02:10 PM
Yes, i understood why we need to Poincare duality. But my central question is that abelianization of the fundamental group is the first homology group, but others? second homology group and the third? i know the second homology group is the torsion part of the fundamental group but how? And the third guy is what and why?

lavinia
May18-11, 03:03 PM
Sci Advisor

Hi,i want to understand how fundamental group of a closed oriented

Every orientable manifold has top homology group equal to Z. There is a general proof that there is a fundamental cycle
that generates the homology. Poincare duality just restates this fact for the top and bottom dimensions.

For the rest, compute the first cohomology then use Poincare duality - I think
seydunas
May18-11, 03:39 PM
i just know the poicare duality and i use it when i need to get cohomology group of any manifold. Bu you said that compute the first cohomology group to get second homology group of oriented three manifold. i am not sucssesful doing such thing, how can you compute it? Or is there any simple way to figure out the torsion part of the fundamental group.
lavinia
May19-11, 09:01 AM
Sci Advisor
i just know the poicare duality and i use it when i need to get cohomology group of any manifold. Bu you said that compute the first cohomology group to get second homology group of oriented three manifold. i am not sucssesful doing such thing, how can you compute it? Or is there any simple way to figure out the torsion part of the fundamental group.
what about the universal coefficient theorem for cohomology?
seydunas
May19-11, 01:15 PM
Ok, i know the universal coefficient theorem says that if g: H^1 (M)----> Hom( H_1 (M)---->Z) then g is surjective. It means that H^1(M) / ker(g) isomorphic to Hom( H_1 (M)---->Z) and ker(g) is torsion part of H^1(M). So what is H^1 (M)?
lavinia
May19-11, 05:33 PM
Sci Advisor
Ok, i know the universal coefficient theorem says that if g: H^1 (M)----> Hom( H_1 (M)---->Z) then g is surjective. It means that H^1(M) / ker(g) isomorphic to Hom( H_1 (M)---->Z) and ker(g) is torsion part of H^1(M). So what is H^1 (M)?
The kernel is Ext(H0(M),Z) and H0(M) equals Z. It seems to me that this group is trivial so H^1 (M) is isomorphic to Hom( H_1 (M)---->Z). Is this right?

In that case H^1 (M) is isomorphic to the free part of H_1 (M). This is not what you said so I am worried that this is wrong.
seydunas
May20-11, 05:02 AM
In fact you are right, because the H^1 (M) will be the free part of the H_1(M). I was on the wrong way. Ok now the picture is more visible:) But torsion part of H^1(M)=ker(g) is Ext(H_0(M), Z)? i dont know the homological algebra. If i am convinced it , question will be comlpleted for me.

Register to reply