Differential structure of the group of automorphism of a Lie group

padawan
I am working on this

1703067898088.png

I am having trouble with b and c:

b) Suppose ##(f_n)_{n=1}^{\infty}## is a sequence in ##Aut(G)##, such that ##(T_e(f_n))_{n=1}^{\infty} \to \psi## converges in ##Aut(\mathfrak g)##

I want to show that ## f := \lim_{n\to \infty} f_n## exists as an continuous automorphism of the abstract group ##G##

First of all the ##f_n## are smooth, because they are in Aut(G), so they are Lie group isomorphisms, and therefore smooth by definition

Then by a known property of the exp:

##f_n(\exp(X))=\exp(T_ef_n X), \forall X \in T_eG## taking the limit yields:

##\lim_{n\to \infty} f_n(\exp(X))=\exp(\psi(X))\in G, \forall X \in T_eG##

##\lim_{n\to \infty} f_n(g)=\exp(\psi(X))=:f(g)\in G, \forall g## in a nbhd of the identity

I know that the image of the exponential map generates the connected component of the identity ##G_e##,and by connectedness this coincides with G so:
##G=G_e=<(T_eG)>=<\exp(\psi(T_eG))>=<\exp(T_eG)>##

This means that convergence is actually valid in the whole group, becuase if I have convergence in the generating set, I must have convergence in the generated set.

I hope this is correct,if not please tell me. Still I have to prove that it is bijective and a group homomorphism. I am not sure how to do this

b) How do I argue from here that ##f## is continuous? First I thought it was automatic, but then I recalled from analysis that pointwise convergence of a sequence of functions does not imply continuity. So I am clueless about how to proceed here as well

Last edited by a moderator:

What is a Lie group?

A Lie group is a mathematical structure that combines algebraic and geometric properties. It is defined as a group that is also a differentiable manifold, meaning that it allows for smooth operations of multiplication and inversion. Lie groups are fundamental in mathematics and physics, particularly in the study of continuous symmetries and conservation laws.

What is an automorphism of a Lie group?

An automorphism of a Lie group is a bijective map from the group to itself that preserves the group operation and is smooth. In other words, it is a transformation of the group that respects its algebraic and differential structure. Automorphisms form a group themselves, known as the automorphism group of the Lie group.

What is the differential structure of the automorphism group of a Lie group?

The differential structure of the automorphism group of a Lie group refers to the way in which this group itself can be treated as a differentiable manifold. This involves understanding how the tangent space at the identity of the automorphism group can be described, often in terms of derivations (differential operators satisfying a Leibniz rule) of the Lie algebra associated with the original Lie group.

How is the tangent space at the identity of the automorphism group related to the Lie group?

The tangent space at the identity of the automorphism group of a Lie group is closely related to the Lie algebra of the original group. Specifically, it can be identified with the space of derivations of the Lie algebra. These derivations are linear maps from the Lie algebra to itself that satisfy the derivation property, linking the differential structure of the automorphism group to the algebraic structure of the Lie group.

Why is the study of the differential structure of automorphism groups important?

Studying the differential structure of automorphism groups is crucial for understanding the symmetries and invariants of Lie groups, which have wide-ranging applications in both mathematics and physics. This study helps in classifying Lie groups, exploring their properties, and understanding their roles in various physical theories, such as in the analysis of fundamental particles and forces.