Register to reply

Grad textbook on abstract algebra

by ForMyThunder
Tags: abstract, algebra, grad, textbook
Share this thread:
ForMyThunder
May27-11, 02:16 AM
P: 152
What is the absolute best abstract algebra book for graduate students? I was wanting a book that covers algebra in the most comprehensive manner possible, at about the level of Hungerford's Algebra. I was wondering if Carstensen's Abstract Algebra in the Sigma Series in Pure Mathematics is a good text. Any recommendations?
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
An interesting glimpse into how future state-of-the-art electronics might work
Tissue regeneration using anti-inflammatory nanomolecules
C2D2 fighting corrosion
micromass
May27-11, 05:28 PM
Mentor
P: 18,244
Hi ForMyThunder!

Which kind of algebra are you interested in? There are a lot of branches out there!

I've always found "Commutative algebra with a view on algebraic geometry" by Eisenbud wonderful. But that focusses on commutative algebra.

Another great book is the algebra books by Bourbaki, but Bourbaki's style is often criticized...
jbunniii
May27-11, 09:38 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
PF Gold
P: 3,288
I like Rotman, Advanced Modern Algebra (2nd edition), and Isaacs, Algebra: A Graduate Course.

SteveL27
Jun2-11, 08:09 PM
P: 800
Grad textbook on abstract algebra

"Absolute best" is subjective, but if you're looking for a comprehensive book, check out Lang.

http://www.amazon.com/Algebra-Serge-Lang/dp/038795385X

Harder than Hungerford, but definitely a good book to have on your shelf.
mathwonk
Jun4-11, 07:20 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
P: 9,470
the modern standards are artin, dummit and foote, hungerford, lang. a little older but excellent are: jacobson, van der waerden, and sah.

i have free algebra notes on my web page for math courses 843-4-5, and 8000[6].

see my profile for address. many other people have possibly better and certainly nicer looking ones on their sites. james milne's site is a treasure trove of wonderfully well written and excellent books and notes.
ForMyThunder
Jun15-11, 09:55 PM
P: 152
Has anyone read this book? http://www.amazon.com/Abstract-Algeb...8192770&sr=8-1 If so, how was it?

Register to reply