Register to reply

Grad textbook on abstract algebra

by ForMyThunder
Tags: abstract, algebra, grad, textbook
Share this thread:
ForMyThunder
May27-11, 02:16 AM
P: 152
What is the absolute best abstract algebra book for graduate students? I was wanting a book that covers algebra in the most comprehensive manner possible, at about the level of Hungerford's Algebra. I was wondering if Carstensen's Abstract Algebra in the Sigma Series in Pure Mathematics is a good text. Any recommendations?
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Experts defend operational earthquake forecasting, counter critiques
EU urged to convert TV frequencies to mobile broadband
Sierra Nevada freshwater runoff could drop 26 percent by 2100
micromass
May27-11, 05:28 PM
Mentor
P: 18,331
Hi ForMyThunder!

Which kind of algebra are you interested in? There are a lot of branches out there!

I've always found "Commutative algebra with a view on algebraic geometry" by Eisenbud wonderful. But that focusses on commutative algebra.

Another great book is the algebra books by Bourbaki, but Bourbaki's style is often criticized...
jbunniii
May27-11, 09:38 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
PF Gold
P: 3,288
I like Rotman, Advanced Modern Algebra (2nd edition), and Isaacs, Algebra: A Graduate Course.

SteveL27
Jun2-11, 08:09 PM
P: 800
Grad textbook on abstract algebra

"Absolute best" is subjective, but if you're looking for a comprehensive book, check out Lang.

http://www.amazon.com/Algebra-Serge-Lang/dp/038795385X

Harder than Hungerford, but definitely a good book to have on your shelf.
mathwonk
Jun4-11, 07:20 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
P: 9,488
the modern standards are artin, dummit and foote, hungerford, lang. a little older but excellent are: jacobson, van der waerden, and sah.

i have free algebra notes on my web page for math courses 843-4-5, and 8000[6].

see my profile for address. many other people have possibly better and certainly nicer looking ones on their sites. james milne's site is a treasure trove of wonderfully well written and excellent books and notes.
ForMyThunder
Jun15-11, 09:55 PM
P: 152
Has anyone read this book? http://www.amazon.com/Abstract-Algeb...8192770&sr=8-1 If so, how was it?

Register to reply