Parallel resistance Rs in current source

In summary, a current source is a special type of voltage source where the series resistance is set to a very high value to minimize the effect of changes in the load resistance on the load current. In contrast, a regular voltage source has a very small series resistance that can be adjusted to vary the voltage across the load. The inclusion of source resistance in circuit diagrams allows for the modeling of non-ideal sources.
PainterGuy
Hi :smile:

I have always thought of a current source as a very, very high voltage supply with a very, very large resistor, Rs, in series (I mean this large resistor would make series connection with the load resistor, RL). The larger the series resistor the less effect the change in load resistor has on the load current. The Rs should be a variable resistor which is adjusted to get the wanted current through the RL. In other words, a current source is also a special type of voltage source.

In a regular voltage source the Rs is very small which can be adjusted to vary the voltage across the RL. If you want more volts to appear across the RL then you need to decrease the resistance of Rs.

Please correct the stuff above if you found something wrong. Thanks

Now I'm coming to the main question(s).

Please have a look on the linked diagram:
http://img843.imageshack.us/img843/3518/imgan.jpg

A current source is represented as shown in Fig. 3 in the diagram with the Rs in parallel configuration. I don't get it. Why? As I say above, in my view, a current source is a special kind of voltage source. They say, Rs, is an internal resistance and makes a parallel connection (as shown in Fig. 3). I don't get it. Do you get where I'm having problem? Please help me. Thanks

Cheers

Engineering news on Phys.org
With a variable voltage source, the voltage is variable. The Thevenin resistance is usually far, far too small to have significant effect on the load voltage if it is adjusted.

Same with constant current sources. You adjust the current setting (or the voltage setting in your mathematically equivalent voltage source), not the resistance. That stays constant. In this case, changing the load resistance will slightly change the total amount of current; it's not ideal. That's the entire point of including source resistance in the diagrams: to model non-ideal sources (which EVERY source is, to one degree or another).

A current source can be modeled as a high voltage source with high series resistance; that is know as "source transformation", and is a very basic part of circuit analysis. Likewise, a voltage source can be modeled as a high current source with a small parallel resistance.

The series resistance of a non-ideal voltage source forms a voltage divider with the load. As more current is drawn from the source (lower load resistance), more voltage is lost in the source resistance, so the load voltage goes down.

Likewise, the parallel resistance of a non-ideal current source forms a current divider with the load. As more voltage is created by the source (higher load resistance), more of the current is lost through the parallel source resistance, and the load current goes down.

1. What is parallel resistance Rs in a current source?

Parallel resistance Rs in a current source refers to the total resistance of all the components connected in parallel in a circuit where a current source is present. This resistance is responsible for dividing the current flowing through the circuit among the different components.

2. How is parallel resistance Rs calculated?

To calculate parallel resistance Rs, you need to add the reciprocals of the individual resistances and then take the reciprocal of the sum. The formula for this is 1/Rs = 1/R1 + 1/R2 + 1/R3 + ... + 1/Rn, where R1, R2, R3, etc. are the individual resistances.

3. What is the effect of parallel resistance Rs on current in a current source?

The presence of parallel resistance Rs in a current source leads to a decrease in the total current flowing through the circuit. This is because the current is divided among the different resistances, with some flowing through Rs and the remaining flowing through the other components.

4. How does the value of parallel resistance Rs affect the current in a current source?

The higher the value of parallel resistance Rs, the more it will affect the current in a current source. This is because a higher resistance will cause more current to flow through it, reducing the amount of current available for the other components in the circuit.

5. Can parallel resistance Rs be ignored in a current source circuit?

No, parallel resistance Rs cannot be ignored in a current source circuit. It plays a crucial role in determining the total current flowing through the circuit and affects the performance of the individual components. Ignoring it can lead to incorrect calculations and potential circuit failures.