Source free RL Circuit derivation

In summary: LH) and inductor L (right hand...RH).In summary, the voltage across the inductor and the resistor will be the same, unless you do something stupid like defining the voltages opposite each other.
jaus tail
Hi,
I'm struggling with source-free RL Circuit derivation.
upload_2017-11-21_10-25-45.png

In the books in the right side diagram they've reversed polarity of inductor to get equation:
V(r) = - V(L)
But why?
I checked google and everywhere they had put inductor with positive sign upwards.

Here is what I think--
In left diagram, inductor is acting as a load, so the point where current enters is positive.
But in right diagram, inductor is a current source, so the point where the current leaves should be positive.
The resistance on right is load. So using KVL we get V(r) = V(L)

Where am I wrong? How to reach the equation--V(r) = -V(L)
V(r) is voltage across resistance on right side.
V(L) is voltage across inductor.

Attachments

• upload_2017-11-21_10-25-45.png
    upload_2017-11-21_10-25-45.png
    5.8 KB · Views: 1,459
Engineering news on Phys.org
The LH circuit is a parallel circuit, so the resistors have no affect on the action of the inductor.
The inductor is like a flywheel; it is hard to get the current moving in it, so if the current is growing, after switch-on, then the inductor opposes the increase. So it is positive up in your circuit. But if the current is falling, as at switch-off, it tries to keep the current flowing, so is negative up in your circuit.
The resistors always oppose the flow of current so are always positive up in your LH circuit.

But if the current is reducing then in the right side diagram, current is flowing up in the resistor so shouldn't the lower terminal be positive and the upper one be negative as per sign conventions.

I'm guessing the reason you are having trouble is notation. Either there is a diagram you are not showing us, or you drew the diagram wrong, or the question is terrible. Can you show us the actual book problem.

The voltage across the inductor and the resistor will be the equal they are two parallel components, unless you do something stupid like defining the voltages opposite each other. note: I'm not saying what you did was stupid, you actually pointed out the flaw in the logic.

What they likely are trying to portray is that with a positive value current source, when the switch is opened, current through the inductor will continue to flow, which will lead to a negative voltage, as the current flow will be going up through the resistor.

jaus tail said:
Where am I wrong?
You Aren't. In fact you are absolutely right!

Likes donpacino
I am studying from notes and I used this link
Link

How to get the equation iR + Ldi/dt = 0
Since in second diagram inductor is now like a source then using KVL we get source voltage = sum of voltage drops in circuit, so we get: Ldi/dt = iR
This is different from above equation.

jaus tail said:
Since in second diagram inductor is now like a source then using KVL we get source voltage = sum of voltage drops in circuit, so we get: Ldi/dt = iR

forget about that acting like a source... It's acting like an inductor. You don't switch the polarity because you think its acting like a source.

If you INSIST on saying its acting like a source, then you have your Vr upside down. You had it correct in post 3.

I'm confused. Is the voltage polarity across inductor in right diagram correct in my drawing?
Should the equation be: VL = VR or VL + VR = 0
Link says it should be right one. I'm not able to understand how.

upload_2017-11-22_9-56-40.png

Is this correct polarity?
And then for RC circuit they've used:
upload_2017-11-22_9-59-58.png

Why is Ic flowing to the right? Ic should also flow toward the left. It's almost as if they've purposely used that direction of Ic just to reach the conclusion Ic + Ir = 0, whereas it should be Ir = Ic as both are in series.

Attachments

• upload_2017-11-22_9-56-5.png
    upload_2017-11-22_9-56-5.png
    4.2 KB · Views: 547
  • upload_2017-11-22_9-56-40.png
    upload_2017-11-22_9-56-40.png
    4.2 KB · Views: 731
  • upload_2017-11-22_9-59-58.png
    upload_2017-11-22_9-59-58.png
    4.7 KB · Views: 762
jaus tail said:
Why is Ic flowing to the right? Ic should also flow toward the left. It's almost as if they've purposely used that direction of Ic just to reach the conclusion Ic + Ir = 0, whereas it should be Ir = Ic as both are in series.

first off I am not sure where the capacitor example came from.

Second, this is something that beginners to electronics often mess up. It's something that took me a while to grasp. Direction like that does not matter, just use the notation that is simplest for you.

The fact of the matter is in that diagram IC is labeled in one direction, and Ir is labeled in the other. You correctly pointed out that IC=-IR, because it does.
the best way to attack these problems is define polarity, then if an answer comes up negative, that's fine. It is perfectly acceptable to say IR=5A and IC = -5A

Likes jaus tail
jaus tail said:
Is this correct polarity?
For the inductor circuits, yes. In the RH diagram, the current direction should be reversed.
For the capacitor circuit, I agree with your reasoning about the current direction.

Consider an RL circuit excited with an independent voltage source V (left hand circuit in your post). Treat the voltages across the components (R and L) as voltage drops .
Write the KVL as,
Independent voltage= sum of all the voltage "drops" across the components.
So, the equation becomes
V=iR+Ldi/dt.

Now consider the RH circuit, which is source-free i.e. no independent source.
∴0=Ldi/dt+iR
∴VL+VR=0.
So, VL= -VR.

Likes jaus tail
cnh1995 said:
Now consider the RH circuit, which is source-free i.e. no independent source.
∴0=Ldi/dt+iR
∴VL+VR=0.
So, VL= -VR.

Shouldn't it be
0 = -Ldi/dt + iR... since now the inductor voltage will be positive at the lower end and negative at the upper end.

jaus tail said:
since now the inductor voltage will be positive at the lower end and negative at the upper end.
No, driving voltage is zero here. You should still consider the RHS terms to be voltage 'drops'. If you solve this equation, you'll get the correct expression for i(t).

If you use VL=VR,
you'll have Ldi/dt=iR, which doesn't give the correct expression for current.

With reference to a common terminal of R and L, it is correct that VL=VR. But while writing KVL, we take a 'KVL walk' around the loop and hence, we see a potential rise in the inductor and a potential drop in the resistor, both adding up to zero.
Hence, VL+VR=0 and VL= -VR. Here VL and VR are treated as voltage 'drops'. Since they have opposite signs, it is clear that one of them is now 'supplying' power.

This is what I'm struggling to understand. When the switch is opened(RH Diagram), there is current through the inductor. But this current comes from the magnetic energy stored in the inductor during switch was closed(LH Diagram).

So in LH Diagram, inductor acts as load as it is storing energy as magnetic field. But in RH Diagram the inductor loses this energy so shouldn't we follow KVL convention that
Sum of voltage source = sum of voltage drops
So Ldi/dt = iR.

maybe it's like
During storing energy di/dt is positive
while during releasing energy di/dt is negative so as it is Ldi/dt becomes negative so -Ldi/dt will be a positive value which is equal to iR which is positive as direction of current through R hasn't changed.

I understood. I assumed there to be a voltmeter connected across
upload_2017-11-24_14-18-54.png

So in first case let switch be closed so V source is acting. So voltmeters VR and VL will give positive values.

In second case voltmeter VL will give me negative value as it is fall of current. Ldi/dt is negative.
Thus the formula: VR + VL = 0

This is assuming I haven't changed the terminals of voltmeters after the switch has moved.

Attachments

• upload_2017-11-24_14-18-54.png
    upload_2017-11-24_14-18-54.png
    9.8 KB · Views: 633
Last edited:
jaus tail said:
Let VL1 be potential across inductor when it is storing energy and let VL2 be potential across inductor when it's releasing energy.
So in LH Diagram: V(source) = VR + VL1
In RH Diagram: VL2 = VR
And we have: VL2 = - VL1
And since VL1 = Ldi/dt
we have VR = VL2 = -VL1 = -Ldi/dt
So I get VR = -Ldi/dt
Yes, that's the math I was going to post. But here, you know that the inductor voltage changes polarity, before even solving for i(t).

But before solving this problem, even if you didn't know about the polarity change, you can still arrive at the correct result. Just put 0 in place of Vsource in the green equation above.

Likes jaus tail
Yes at first we have Vsource = VR + VL
= VR + Ldi/dt
where di/dt is positive.

Now suppose source is short circuited so equation becomes:
0 = VR + VL as u said above
And this is electrically true because now di/dt is negative
so we have 0 = (a positive value) + (a negative value)

1. What is a source-free RL circuit?

A source-free RL circuit is a type of electrical circuit that contains a resistor (R) and an inductor (L) but has no external voltage or current source connected to it. This means that the circuit is not receiving any input power and is operating in a steady-state condition.

2. What is the purpose of deriving a source-free RL circuit?

The purpose of deriving a source-free RL circuit is to analyze the behavior of the circuit over time and determine key parameters such as voltage, current, and energy storage. This can help in designing and troubleshooting RL circuits for various applications.

3. How is the source-free RL circuit derivation performed?

The source-free RL circuit derivation involves using Kirchhoff's laws and basic circuit analysis techniques to develop a differential equation that describes the circuit's behavior. This equation is then solved to obtain expressions for the voltage and current across the inductor and resistor over time.

4. What are the key assumptions made in the source-free RL circuit derivation?

The key assumptions made in the source-free RL circuit derivation include the absence of any external voltage or current sources, ideal circuit elements (i.e. no resistance in the inductor), and a steady-state condition where the circuit has been operating for a long time.

5. What are the applications of source-free RL circuits?

Source-free RL circuits have various applications in electronics and electrical engineering, such as in power supplies, signal processing, and motor control systems. They are also commonly used in filter circuits to remove unwanted frequencies from a signal.