What is a Quasi-Conductor and How Does it Affect Vehicle Ignition Failure?

• Thread starter sankalpmittal
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the issue of ignition failure in vehicles due to moisture, specifically the role of dirt on the spark plugs. The reason for this is explained as the insulating porcelain on the plugs becoming "quasi-conductive" in humid weather due to the hygroscopic nature of surface dirt. However, there is uncertainty about the accuracy of this explanation and the concept of "quasi-conductors" in general.
sankalpmittal
Hey I have read in a book that in moisture sometimes the cars or vehicles ignition failure occurs and it(vehicle) stops.(I mentioned sometimes in rare cases. )The reason written there was that the insulating porcelain of the spark plugs accumulates a film of dirt . The surface dirt is hygroscopic and picks up moisture from air. Therefore in humid weather the insulating porcelain of plugs becomes "quasi-conductor." This allows an appreciable proportion of the spark to leak across the surface of the plug instead of discharging across the gap .Firstly , is the explanation correct ?
Secondly , what exactly is this quasi-conductor ?

Physics news on Phys.org
Sounds like they are just referring to the fact that in humid weather the water in the air gets absorbed into the dirt and causes it to become conductive enough to cause a short. I don't know if the explanation is actually correct, and I've personally never heard of a quasi-conductor before.

Drakkith said:
Sounds like they are just referring to the fact that in humid weather the water in the air gets absorbed into the dirt and causes it to become conductive enough to cause a short. I don't know if the explanation is actually correct, and I've personally never heard of a quasi-conductor before.

Hmm I still have the doubts whether it is correct or not .

What is a Quasi-Conductor?

A quasi-conductor is a material that exhibits properties of both a conductor and an insulator. This means that it can conduct electricity under certain conditions, but also has some resistance to the flow of electricity.

How is a Quasi-Conductor different from a regular conductor or insulator?

A quasi-conductor differs from a regular conductor in that it does not have a consistent and predictable level of conductivity. It also differs from an insulator in that it is not completely resistant to the flow of electricity.

What are some examples of Quasi-Conductors?

Some examples of quasi-conductors include silicon, germanium, and certain types of plastics and ceramics. These materials can exhibit properties of both conductors and insulators depending on factors such as temperature and impurities.

How are Quasi-Conductors used in technology?

Quasi-conductors are commonly used in electronic devices such as transistors and diodes. They can also be used in solar cells and other energy conversion technologies.

What is the significance of Quasi-Conductors in scientific research?

Quasi-conductors play an important role in understanding the behavior of materials and their electrical properties. They are also studied for their potential applications in new technologies and in the development of more efficient and sustainable energy sources.

Back