Register to reply

Quantum Field Theory book

by 6eecs
Tags: book, field, quantum, theory
Share this thread:
6eecs
Jun21-11, 03:43 PM
P: 20
Hi, I'd like to ask recommendation for a QFT book. I have seen several other recommendations on this forum, but hopefully I'll provide enough info
so you guys can have more specific advice.

Background: QM (Griffiths, some parts of Sakurai), GR (Carroll), some residue calculus/lorentz-poincare group.

I am currently using Zee/Peskin/Srednicki, but I am debating to which one to use as a main text (which I read very carefully) because I am moving very slowly if I read all of them well.
This is for self-study. I like the problems in Peskin, but I don't like his presentation at all.
On the other hand, I don't like the problems in srednicki, especially his notation, but his derivations are more elegant and compact and detailed.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Wildfires and other burns play bigger role in climate change, professor finds
SR Labs research to expose BadUSB next week in Vegas
New study advances 'DNA revolution,' tells butterflies' evolutionary history
WannabeNewton
Jun21-11, 06:02 PM
C. Spirit
Sci Advisor
Thanks
P: 5,447
I have the same background as you more or less and I started with Zee (still working through it) mainly because the jump to Srednicki would have been too steep. I asked the same question you did a while back so you may or may not find this useful: http://physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=499149
6eecs
Jun21-11, 06:18 PM
P: 20
Actually, I find Zee hard because he handwaves his way through, which makes some stuff difficult to follow. Srednicki to some extent has been easier on me b/c he actually explicitly computes stuff out.

Daverz
Jun21-11, 06:42 PM
P: 893
Quantum Field Theory book

Quote Quote by 6eecs View Post
Actually, I find Zee hard because he handwaves his way through, which makes some stuff difficult to follow. Srednicki to some extent has been easier on me b/c he actually explicitly computes stuff out.
I agree about Zee. At the graduate level, I think Srednicki is the best single book out there right now, but it is in no way an easy book.
WannabeNewton
Jun21-11, 06:44 PM
C. Spirit
Sci Advisor
Thanks
P: 5,447
Yeah I can see what you mean. I must admit the problems in Srednicki's text have been a lot more helpful not to mention there is a full solutions manual for it online which makes it that much more suited for self - study. I guess I just like the tone that Zee writes with.

Register to reply