Resources for learning Quantum Field Theory

In summary, the conversation is about the possibility of learning quantum field theory without prior knowledge of regular quantum mechanics. The individual asking the question has a background in mathematics and physics, but not in regular quantum mechanics. They have found some notes by David Tong and plan to read them to gain a better understanding.
aclaret
hello :)

i would very much like study some quantum field theorie, but have not previously study any regular quantum mechanic (i am not so interest in regular quantum mechanic, but more the relativistic theories).

so i ask, this is possible or not? to what extent knowledge of regular quantum mechanic is prerequisite for the quantum field theorie? any book is good?

Physics news on Phys.org
aclaret said:
hello :)

i would very much like study some quantum field theorie, but have not previously study any regular quantum mechanic (i am not so interest in regular quantum mechanic, but more the relativistic theories).

so i ask, this is possible or not? to what extent knowledge of regular quantum mechanic is prerequisite for the quantum field theorie? any book is good?
I would say you have no chance to learn QFT unless you know a lot of physics and maths. You could, however, take a look at David Tong's notes here. The first pdf is "Preliminaries" and what you need to know.

https://www.damtp.cam.ac.uk/user/tong/qft.html

See whether you can make any sense of that.

yes, everything look familiar apart from quantum mechanic section. i complete rigorous class semester before on the classic mechanic from the book of Spivak 'mechanic for mathematician'.

although what he write about the quantum mechanic not seem so difficult, it just look like operator equation to me :)

ok then, these notes i will begin to read. thank!

aclaret said:
yes, everything look familiar apart from quantum mechanic section. i complete rigorous class semester before on the classic mechanic from the book of Spivak 'mechanic for mathematician'.

although what he write about the quantum mechanic not seem so difficult, it just look like operator equation to me :)

ok then, these notes i will begin to read. thank!
Good luck!

Likes Keith_McClary

1. What is Quantum Field Theory?

Quantum Field Theory (QFT) is a theoretical framework that combines the principles of quantum mechanics and special relativity to describe the behavior of subatomic particles. It is used to study the interactions between particles and the fields they create.

2. Why is Quantum Field Theory important?

QFT is important because it provides a unified understanding of the fundamental forces of nature, such as electromagnetism, strong and weak nuclear forces, and gravity. It also allows for the prediction and calculation of particle interactions, which has led to many advancements in physics and technology.

3. What are some resources for learning Quantum Field Theory?

There are many resources available for learning QFT, including textbooks, online courses, lecture notes, and video lectures. Some popular textbooks include "Quantum Field Theory for the Gifted Amateur" by Tom Lancaster and Stephen J. Blundell, and "Quantum Field Theory and the Standard Model" by Matthew D. Schwartz.

4. Is Quantum Field Theory difficult to learn?

QFT can be a challenging topic to grasp, as it involves complex mathematical concepts and requires a solid understanding of quantum mechanics and special relativity. However, with dedication and proper resources, it is possible to learn and understand QFT.

5. How can I apply Quantum Field Theory in my research or career?

QFT has many practical applications in fields such as particle physics, cosmology, and condensed matter physics. It is also used in the development of new technologies, such as quantum computing. If you are interested in pursuing a career in these fields, a strong understanding of QFT will be beneficial.