Register to reply

Cluster radioactivity- want to know more?

by logearav
Tags: cluster, radioactivity
Share this thread:
logearav
Jul13-11, 12:51 AM
P: 335
Dear members,
While browsing through some quantum mechanics websites, i came across cluster radioactivity, which surprised me, because so far i didn't hear that term as i am familiar with natural and artificial radioactivity.
It has been mentioned Cluster radioactivity is an intermediate process between alpha decay and nuclear fission. In natural radioactivity, we get alpha, beta and gamma rays and in cluster radioactivity it has been mentioned we get carbon, oxygen, magnesium, silicon etc. Does this mean the heavy nuclei decay to form these elements instead of alpha beta and gamma rays? I am fascinated by this topic and thats why i chose this forum to discuss about this. Hoping for a good discussion, revered members
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Mapping the optimal route between two quantum states
Spin-based electronics: New material successfully tested
Verifying the future of quantum computing
Drakkith
Jul13-11, 05:46 PM
Mentor
P: 11,594
From this article: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cluster_decay
I think that cluster decay is simply a rare form of Alpha decay where the nucleus ejects a much bigger "particle" instead of an alpha particle. It says that this decay mechanism only takes place in nuclei that decay via alpha decay and is a much rarer form. Looks like it has to do with quantum tunneling.
logearav
Jul13-11, 11:44 PM
P: 335
"via alpha decay"--- i don't understand sir. Did u mean, that alpha particle is formed first before decaying to the cluster?

Drakkith
Jul14-11, 12:22 AM
Mentor
P: 11,594
Cluster radioactivity- want to know more?

No I mean that cluster decay only takes place in nuclei that normally decay by alpha decay.

Register to reply