Circular image plot (MATLAB)

by mikeph
Tags: circular, image, matlab, plot
Share this thread:
mikeph
Jul27-11, 04:26 AM
P: 1,212
Hi,

Just came across this as an image in a book/monograph and it looks very MATLAB-esque, except I cannot figure out how to possibly create a circular image

Say I have a 500x500 matrix and want to plot it as a colour image in this way. Does anyone know how? I've been re-reading the same help files again and again with no progress.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Hoverbike drone project for air transport takes off
Earlier Stone Age artifacts found in Northern Cape of South Africa
Study reveals new characteristics of complex oxide surfaces
Dr Transport
Jul27-11, 08:41 PM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 1,469
transform the x and y coordinates to polar coordinates and plot the new coordinates,
plot3(cos(x), sin(y));
mikeph
Jul29-11, 03:39 AM
Thanks for the reply, I don't fully understand how to apply it to my problem (never been strong on plot tools), my image has no coordinates, it's just a 500x500 matrix. I don't need the axis, just for the plotter to not plot anything outside a circular region. Currently I'm using pcolor with "EdgeAlpha" to zero so it looks very similar to that image I linked, but it's a square.

mikeph
Nov15-11, 06:35 AM
Circular image plot (MATLAB)

Hi, just need to bump this, I still don't understand how to do this.
mikeph
Apr26-12, 11:09 AM
One more bump, I still can't find an answer, thanks

I really just need to know how to make the non-circle area white, at the moment I'm fiddling around with colour maps and manually changing the values to force it to look white, but it has side-effects.
mikeph
Jun5-12, 05:42 AM
Bumping to say I solved the problem.

The solution lies in the alpha data of the object.

For example you can use a ROI to make part of the object transparent, using

set(gco,'AlphaDataMapping','scaled','AlphaData',ROI)

Where ROI = 1 the image will stay opaque and where it is 0 the image will be transparent.

Register to reply