Plotting Coordinate Transformations in Matlab

In summary, the article discusses the design of a panoramic lens using transformation optics. The author contacted one of the authors of the article and discovered that the coordinate transformations were plotted in Matlab. However, the process for plotting these transformations is unclear and may involve writing a custom plot routine or calculating coordinate pairs at a fine scale. The author suspects that cylindrical coordinates were used for annotation.
Lizard
I was reading this article (https://www.nature.com/articles/srep40083) about designing a panoramic lens with transformation optics, and wanted to try to play around with modifying the coordinate transformations. I contacted one of the authors of the article, and she mentioned that she plotted the coordinate transformations in Matlab, creating this image (Figure 3 in the article):
srep40083-f3.jpg

However, I can't seem to figure out how the authors made these graphs.

These were the equations used:
srep40083-m1.gif

What is the process for plotting coordinate transformations like these? I'm new to Matlab and don't really know where to start.

Attachments

• srep40083-f3.jpg
    srep40083-f3.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 825
  • srep40083-m1.gif
    srep40083-m1.gif
    1.3 KB · Views: 630
Physics news on Phys.org
Given the fact that you can't do overlays on polar coordinate plots in Matlab, I suspect that the author wrote a custom plot routine or calculated the x-y coordinate pairs at a very fine scale and plotted the points annotating in cylindrical coordinates.

1. What is Matlab?

Matlab is a programming platform commonly used by scientists and engineers for data analysis, visualization, and numerical computation.

2. How do I plot coordinate transformations in Matlab?

To plot coordinate transformations in Matlab, you can use the built-in functions "plot" or "scatter" and specify the transformed coordinates as input arguments.

3. What is a coordinate transformation?

A coordinate transformation is a mathematical process that converts coordinates from one coordinate system to another. This can be useful when comparing data from different sources or when working with different coordinate systems.

4. What are some common coordinate systems used in Matlab?

Some common coordinate systems used in Matlab include Cartesian coordinates, polar coordinates, and spherical coordinates.

5. Can I customize the appearance of my plotted coordinate transformations?

Yes, you can customize the appearance of your plotted coordinate transformations in Matlab by using built-in functions such as "xlabel," "ylabel," "title," and "legend." You can also change the color, style, and size of the plotted points or lines using the "Color," "LineStyle," and "MarkerSize" arguments in the plot function.