Ideas for simple programs to write in Python please

by ecneicS
Tags: ideas, programs, python, simple, write
ecneicS
Aug2-11, 01:25 PM
P: 64
I currently have little experience in programming and would like to improve my skills. The most complex program I've made so far has been a definite integral calculator that uses either right handed or left handed riemann sums to approximate the definite integral (although it fails to be accurate where functions tend off to infinite). I was wondering if anyone had any good ideas for some programs that are around my skill level. Thanks!
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
SensaBubble: It's a bubble, but not as we know it (w/ video)
The hemihelix: Scientists discover a new shape using rubber bands (w/ video)
Microbes provide insights into evolution of human language
n1person
Aug2-11, 01:59 PM
P: 144
I will just list two very important skills to have for any sort of scientific use of python:

Write a program that can read in data from a file and do some operation with it, and print it out to a file. (very useful skill!)

Get matplotlib and make pretty graphs with Python
wisvuze
Aug2-11, 05:34 PM
P: 367
you could look up the "huffman tree algorithm" and write a file compressor program for relatively small programs. I did this as an assignment for one of my classes with python, it was fun.

flemmyd
Aug2-11, 05:42 PM
P: 144

Ideas for simple programs to write in Python please

ProjectEruler.net ?
evankiefl
Aug2-11, 05:44 PM
P: 14
Quote Quote by flemmyd View Post
ProjectEruler.net ?
I put that in my address bar and nothing came up. What is it?
micromass
Aug2-11, 05:50 PM
Mentor
P: 16,703
Quote Quote by evankiefl View Post
I put that in my address bar and nothing came up. What is it?
He means http://projecteuler.net/
wisvuze
Aug2-11, 06:00 PM
P: 367
projecteuler can be fun, but this is awesome: http://www.pythonchallenge.com ! ( the project euler link reminded me of this site, it gets progressively harder )
there's a harder version out there somewhere, that is less dependent on using python specifically ( for example, one exercise in pythonchallenge.com requires you to know about the Ord() function in python ), but I don't remember the name :(

Register to reply