Register to reply

Introductory Statistical Mechanics - counting number of microstates

Share this thread:
ausdreamer
Aug3-11, 03:37 AM
P: 23
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Consider a system composed of 2 harmonic oscillators with frequencies w and 2w respectively (w = omega). The total energy of the system is U=q * h_bar * w, where q is a positive negative integer, ie. q = {1, 3, 5, ...}.

Write down the number of microstates of the system for each value of q.

2. Relevant equations

-

3. The attempt at a solution

The energy of the first harmonic oscillator with frequency w is: E_1 = j1 * h_bar * w.
The energy of the second harmonic oscillator with frequency 2w is: E_2 = 2 * j2 * h_bar * w.

So now the total energy of the system is given by U = (j1 + 2j2) * h_bar * w = q * h_bar * w.

Say q = 1. So there's only1 microstate for this energy level because 1) my lecturer said that j1, j2 are integers and can represent the number of particles the harmonic oscillator, and by writing out a table for values of j1 and 2j2 we just get:

| j1 | 2j2|
----------
| 1 | 0 |
----------

Now say q = 3. By writing out the table of possible microstates we get the table:

| j1 | 2j2|
----------
| 3 | 0 |
| 1 | 2 |
----------

So for q=3, there are 2 possible microstates of the system. Repeating this a few more times, I get a table which looks like this:

(let g = number of microstates for energy q)

| q | g |
--------
| 1 | 1 |
| 3 | 2 |
| 5 | 3 |
| 6 | 4 |
| 7 | 5 |
. .
. .
--------

And so writing g(q) (number of microstates as a function of energy q) I get:

g(q) = CIELING(q/2)

However, this is apparently wrong according to my lecturer. Can someone see where I went wrong in my reasoning? Thanks
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Security CTO to detail Android Fake ID flaw at Black Hat
Huge waves measured for first time in Arctic Ocean
Mysterious molecules in space
vela
Aug3-11, 11:52 AM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks
PF Gold
P: 11,684
I don't see why q would be confined to odd values. Also, your expression for the energy of the oscillators is incorrect. They should be
\begin{align*}
E_1 &= \hbar\omega(n_1 + 1/2) \\
E_2 &= 2\hbar\omega(n_2 + 1/2)
\end{align*}
where ni=0, 1, ....
ausdreamer
Aug3-11, 02:42 PM
P: 23
Well the problem stated q as positive odd integers, and also my lecturer said we can ignore the 1/2h_bar * w term since all we're interested in is the difference in energy not E itself.

vela
Aug3-11, 03:24 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks
PF Gold
P: 11,684
Introductory Statistical Mechanics - counting number of microstates

Clearly if j1=0 and j2=1, you'd have q=2, which isn't odd. Either the problem is wrong or you're not accurately conveying the original problem statement.

Register to reply