Statistical mechanics and problem with integrals

In summary: Maybe it's because of the environment, i don't know. I'm new to LaTeX.In summary, the conversation discusses a system of N non-interacting particles in a d-dimensional space that is in contact with a bath of temperature T. The system is described by a Hamiltonian with terms involving the coefficients A and B and exponents s and t. The question asks about finding the average energy and the density of states g. The conversation also includes a discussion about simplifying the Hamiltonian by expanding it in terms of its components.
LCSphysicist
Homework Statement
Relevant Equations
So we have a system of N non interacting particles, on a d-dimensional space, the system is in contact with a bath of temperature T. The hamiltonian is $$H = \sum_{l = 1}^{N} (A_{l}|p_{l}|^{s}+B_{l}|q_{l}|^{s})$$.

What is the avarage energy?

Now, i have some problems with statistical mechanics, and i always find myself surrounded by a lot of different roads, and don't know which one to choose. But my first step was to try to simplify this hamiltonian:

$$(A_{l})^{1/s}p_{i,l} = f_{i,l} \n (B_{l})^{1/t}q_{i,l} = g_{i,l}$$

And calling $$\sum_{i} f_{il}^2 = (f_{l})^2 \n \sum_{i} g_{il}^2 = (g_{l})^2$$
Our Hamiltonian now is $$H = \sum_{l=1}^{N} ((f_{l})^{s}+(g_{l})^{s})$$

Now, $$U = \int e^{-\beta \epsilon} g(\epsilon) d\epsilon$$

How the heck i find the density of states g?
If s were 1 or 2, ok, i could make a guess, but i have no idea what to do with s.

Physics news on Phys.org
LCSphysicist said:
Homework Statement:: .
Relevant Equations:: .

So we have a system of N non interacting particles, on a d-dimensional space, the system is in contact with a bath of temperature T. The hamiltonian is $$H = \sum_{l = 1}^{N} (A_{l}|p_{l}|^{s}+B_{l}|q_{l}|^{s})$$.

What is the avarage energy?

Now, i have some problems with statistical mechanics, and i always find myself surrounded by a lot of different roads, and don't know which one to choose. But my first step was to try to simplify this hamiltonian:

$$(A_{l})^{1/s}p_{i,l} = f_{i,l}~\\ (B_{l})^{1/t}q_{i,l} = g_{i,l}$$

And calling $$\sum_{i} f_{il}^2 = (f_{l})^2~\\ \sum_{i} g_{il}^2 = (g_{l})^2$$
Our Hamiltonian now is $$H = \sum_{l=1}^{N} ((f_{l})^{s}+(g_{l})^{s})$$

Now, $$U = \int e^{-\beta \epsilon} g(\epsilon) d\epsilon$$

How the heck i find the density of states g?
If s were 1 or 2, ok, i could make a guess, but i have no idea what to do with s.
I can't help much with this problem as it's been a long time since looking at the Hamiltonian formulation in classical physics, for me. Just wanted to ask some questions for clarification:

0) Pro-tip that '\n' is not a line break in LaTeX. Try using '\\\' instead.

1) Is the idea here that the terms in the sum would be something like ##|p_l|^2/2m_l## for a familiar scenario, but because we're generalizing this to a d-dimensional space, we have a different exponent and sort of generalized KE and PE terms for each particle without specific regard for the physical interpretation of the coefficients A and B?

2) Why do you write ##(B_l)^{1/t}?## What is ##t##? Is this a typo, and should it actually say ##(B_l)^{1/s}?##

3) I understand that ##l## indexes particles from 1 to N, but what does subscript ##i## represent? You introduce it in your modifications to ##\mathcal{H}##. I had a thought that maybe it could index dimensions from 1 to ##d##, but is it necessary to consider these components when they don't appear in the original Hamiltonian?

Thanks for any clarification you can provide. I thought the answers to these questions could help someone more knowledgeable step in.

Last edited:
Likes LCSphysicist
LastScattered1090 said:
I can't help much with this problem as it's been a long time since looking at the Hamiltonian formulation in classical physics, for me. Just wanted to ask some questions for clarification:

0) Pro-tip that '\n' is not a line break in LaTeX. Try using '\\\' instead.

1) Is the idea here that the terms in the sum would be something like ##p_l^2/2m_l## for a familiar scenario, but because we're generalizing this to a d-dimensional space, we have a different exponent and sort of generalized KE and PE terms for each particle without specific regard for the physical interpretation of the coefficients A and B?

2) Why do you write ##(B_l)^{1/t}?## What is ##t##? Is this a typo, and should it actually say ##(B_l)^{1/s}?##

3) I understand that ##l## indexes particles from 1 to N, but what does subscript ##i## represent? You introduce it in your modifications to ##\mathcal{H}##. I had a thought that maybe it could index dimensions from 1 to ##d##, but is it necessary to consider these components when they don't appear in the original Hamiltonian?

Thanks for any clarification you can provide. I thought the answers to these questions could help someone more knowledgeable step in.
Af, yes, there is a typo here. On the hamiltonian, should be ##|q_l|^t##, being t and s integers.

The subscript i represents the dimension. What i have made above is simply expanding ##|q_l|,|p_l|## in its components, ##|q_l|^2 = \sum_{i=1}^{d} q_{il}^2##, supposing of course the basis of the d dimensional space is orthogonal, and inserting the A on it, so that we can get rid of it. Just like we can write ##p^2/2m + kq^2/2## as ##p'^2 + q'^2##, if we call ##p' = p / \sqrt{2m}## etc..

I am aware of "\\", but it was not working for some reason.

1. What is statistical mechanics and how does it relate to integrals?

Statistical mechanics is a branch of physics that uses statistical methods to explain the behavior of a large number of particles. It relates to integrals because it uses integrals to calculate the properties of a system based on the statistical distribution of particles within it.

2. What is the problem with integrals in statistical mechanics?

The problem with integrals in statistical mechanics is that they often involve complex calculations and can be difficult to solve analytically. This can make it challenging to accurately predict the behavior of a system using statistical mechanics.

3. How do scientists overcome the problem with integrals in statistical mechanics?

Scientists use various mathematical techniques, such as approximations and numerical methods, to solve integrals in statistical mechanics. They also use computer simulations to model and analyze complex systems.

4. Can the problem with integrals in statistical mechanics be completely eliminated?

No, the problem with integrals in statistical mechanics cannot be completely eliminated. However, advancements in computational power and mathematical techniques have made it easier to solve integrals and improve the accuracy of predictions in statistical mechanics.

5. How is statistical mechanics used in real-world applications?

Statistical mechanics is used in various fields, such as thermodynamics, chemistry, and material science, to understand and predict the behavior of complex systems. It has practical applications in industries such as energy production, pharmaceuticals, and materials engineering.