Register to reply

Convergent series with non-negative terms, a counter-example with negative terms

Share this thread:
Crossfader
Aug23-11, 12:55 PM
P: 2
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The terms of convergent series [itex]\sum_{n=1}^\infty[/itex][itex]a_n[/itex] are non-negative. Let [itex]m_n[/itex] = max{[itex]a_n, a_{n+1}[/itex]}, [itex]n = 1,2,...[/itex]

Prove that [itex]\sum_{n=1}^\infty[/itex][itex]m_n[/itex] converges.

Show with a counter-example that the claim above doesn't necessarily hold if the assumption [itex]a_n[/itex][itex]\geq[/itex]0 for all n[itex]\geq[/itex]1 is dropped.

2. The attempt at a solution

I think I've solved the first claim using a theorem which claims if series converges then its partial sum converges as well. This holds assuming that I understood right the meaning of [itex]m_n[/itex]=max{[itex]a_n, a_{n+1}[/itex]}

I'm stuck with another one, frankly saying I couldn't find any counter-example.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Experts defend operational earthquake forecasting, counter critiques
EU urged to convert TV frequencies to mobile broadband
Sierra Nevada freshwater runoff could drop 26 percent by 2100
Mark44
Aug23-11, 01:29 PM
Mentor
P: 21,311
Quote Quote by Crossfader View Post
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The terms of convergent series [itex]\sum_{n=1}^\infty[/itex][itex]a_n[/itex] are non-negative. Let [itex]m_n[/itex] = max{[itex]a_n, a_{n+1}[/itex]}, [itex]n = 1,2,...[/itex]

Prove that [itex]\sum_{n=1}^\infty[/itex][itex]m_n[/itex] converges.

Show with a counter-example that the claim above doesn't necessarily hold if the assumption [itex]a_n[/itex][itex]\geq[/itex]0 for all n[itex]\geq[/itex]1 is dropped.

2. The attempt at a solution

I think I've solved the first claim using a theorem which claims if series converges then its partial sum converges as well. This holds assuming that I understood right the meaning of [itex]m_n[/itex]=max{[itex]a_n, a_{n+1}[/itex]}

I'm stuck with another one, frankly saying I couldn't find any counter-example.
How can a series fail to converge? One way is if the partial sums get larger and larger without bound (or more and more negative). Is there another way that a series can diverge?

Register to reply