Who/what is behind earthquakes?

by kthouz
Tags: earthquake, external, induced, planet
Share this thread:
kthouz
Aug24-11, 11:28 AM
P: 199
Hello everyone,
After observing these last consecutive earthquakes in history, i asked myself: is it possible to induce an earthquake?
I do not know if this is the first time that our planet goes through a such period of successive strong earthquakes. If yes, do you still thinking that earthquakes are natural?
As far as am concerned, there are not natural since only developed countries are the ones that are mostly target (Japan, USA, ...), why not africa?
I would think there must be some experiments going out there around the planet (especially in those developed areas) that may be the cause of these strong earthquakes that our planet is going through. Or, also, there may be some extra-terrestrial factors, for example interactions between planets, ...
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Scientists uncover clues to role of magnetism in iron-based superconductors
Researchers find first direct evidence of 'spin symmetry' in atoms
X-ray laser probes tiny quantum tornadoes in superfluid droplets
Ranger Mike
Aug24-11, 11:52 AM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 1,468
who/what is behind earthquakes?

obviously it is George Bush's fault!
DaveC426913
Aug24-11, 11:54 AM
P: 15,319
You're seeing a reporting bias. How much Africa news do you watch? Tune in to a lot of African tweets? How many news reports have you read from past geologic ages?

Earthquakes are natural.

HallsofIvy
Aug24-11, 12:06 PM
Math
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
Thanks
PF Gold
P: 39,500
Who/what is behind earthquakes?

There have been movies (notably a James Bond movie) about "inducing" earthquakes but the energy required to do such a thing would be impossible. I don't know why you say "only developed countries are the ones that are mostly target". That certainly is NOT true. The last two happened to be in Japan and the United States (I sat through the one yesterday- I was thinking "Oh, there goes the dog upstairs. Wait, he isn't that big!") but two is a very small sample.

January first of this year, Argentina got hit by a 7.0 mag quake and the next day, Chile got hit by a 7.1 mag quake. And, in fact, Chile was hit by two more earthquakes, of magnitudes 6.7 and 6.8 in February of this year! If you are looking for a conspiracy, start looking for who has it in for Chile! In fact, there have been 41 earthquakes of magnitude 4.0 or higher so far this year, five of which were in the United States, none of magnitude greater than 5.9, and one in Japan.
lockem
Aug24-11, 12:09 PM
P: 8
Tesla is inducing earthquakes from his grave lololol
HallsofIvy
Aug24-11, 12:13 PM
Math
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
Thanks
PF Gold
Probably by rolling over in his grave.
DaveC426913
Aug24-11, 12:13 PM
P: 15,319
Quote Quote by HallsofIvy View Post
Probably by rolling over in his grave.
I was going to say it's due to the Chile (chili)...
Doc Al
Aug24-11, 12:19 PM
Mentor
P: 41,439
Discussion of conspiracy theories is not permitted.
HallsofIvy
Aug24-11, 01:16 PM
Math
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
Thanks
PF Gold
Aww- but this thread is so much fun!

Register to reply