Floating Particles that are visible in the air question

by Hfeline
Tags: floating, particles, visible
Hfeline
Sep6-11, 11:19 PM
P: 7
I wasn't quite sure where to ask this. If you've looked closely at the wall, you'll have noticed particles in the air that kinda swirl like static. So usually, it's pretty uniform, but I got a fluorescent bulbs today, and the air particles that usually just scramble about, look like they are flowing down off the lamp shade like a waterfall. Anyone know if this is normal?
Phys.Org News Partner Medical research news on Phys.org
Pregnancy complications may be more common in immigrants from certain regions
Use of frozen material for fecal transplant successfully treats C. difficile infection
Death rates from pancreatic cancer predicted to rise in Europe in 2014
klimatos
Sep7-11, 04:26 PM
P: 403
Quote Quote by Hfeline View Post
I wasn't quite sure where to ask this. If you've looked closely at the wall, you'll have noticed particles in the air that kinda swirl like static. So usually, it's pretty uniform, but I got a fluorescent bulbs today, and the air particles that usually just scramble about, look like they are flowing down off the lamp shade like a waterfall. Anyone know if this is normal?
Your changing to a different type of light bulb (heat source) has probably changed the air circulation patterns around your lamp. With this change, comes a change in the flow patterns of dust particles in the air (you cannot see air "particles"). I doubt that there is anything "abnormal" about it.
Hfeline
Sep8-11, 03:09 AM
Just so you know, I don't mean the tingle molts floating on the air that are reflective in the sunlight or any light really. I mean the tiny things that you see if you just look. They are visible if you take the time to notice them, but hardly what I'd call important. It's the swirling stuff that you see between between you and a surface, and it's obscured if you look at a TV or a monitor screen. I just used particles because I don't really know what to call them.

Drakkith
Sep8-11, 04:20 AM
PF Gold
P: 11,057

Floating Particles that are visible in the air question

Just so you know, I don't mean the tingle molts floating on the air that are reflective in the sunlight or any light really. I mean the tiny things that you see if you just look. They are visible if you take the time to notice them, but hardly what I'd call important. It's the swirling stuff that you see between between you and a surface, and it's obscured if you look at a TV or a monitor screen. I just used particles because I don't really know what to call them.
Are you referring to the floaters in your eye? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Floater
Otherwise I don't know what you mean by this.

By the way, I am amazed that Floater is the actual name and address of the article, not something like Floater(eye) or whatnot...
Hfeline
Sep8-11, 11:29 PM
little scrambling things color red, yellow, blue that appear in the air. Not the thing stuck to your eye. It's like television static, but colored and visible in the air. How to say... you look at a solid stationary object... You don't really need to adjust your vision, but you should see collection of red, yellow, blue particles too small to be dust molts, non-reflective in the light. I'm gonna try some stuff.
Hfeline
Sep9-11, 11:08 PM
In the dark, they are visible. Even in complete darkness, including full adaptation to the dark. Little red, yellow, blue pigments are visible in the air.
Drakkith
Sep9-11, 11:27 PM
PF Gold
I think you should go see an optometrist. I don't think I've ever had those.
russ_watters
Sep9-11, 11:42 PM
Mentor
P: 22,008
Nor have I.
khemist
Sep10-11, 01:18 AM
P: 267
Quote Quote by Drakkith View Post
Are you referring to the floaters in your eye? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Floater
Otherwise I don't know what you mean by this.

By the way, I am amazed that Floater is the actual name and address of the article, not something like Floater(eye) or whatnot...
Wow you just answered a serious question I have been asking LOL
klimatos
Sep10-11, 02:41 AM
P: 403
In the dark, they are visible. Even in complete darkness, including full adaptation to the dark. Little red, yellow, blue pigments are visible in the air.
Wow! That certainly beats counting sheep. Readers, have any of you experienced this phenomena?
Hfeline
Sep11-11, 02:25 AM
Maybe the smart guys are too smart to understand. This is something that has been with me my entire life, so I never questioned it. Maybe I'm seeing the air, something which is essentially impossible without a powerful telescope. Or not... Visibility wise, maybe I should ask Opt. It sounds cheap, but since I have to pick up some groceries, I'll make check out a few places.
ZealScience
Sep11-11, 03:49 AM
P: 343
Perhaps it is the heat of the bulb creating the convection.
Ryan_m_b
Sep11-11, 06:33 AM
Mentor
P: 5,350
Are you referring to closed-eye hallucinations (that can also happen in the dark)?
Maybe the smart guys are too smart to understand. This is something that has been with me my entire life, so I never questioned it. Maybe I'm seeing the air, something which is essentially impossible without a powerful telescope. Or not... Visibility wise, maybe I should ask Opt. It sounds cheap, but since I have to pick up some groceries, I'll make check out a few places.
I'm not sure your tone is appropriate here.
Hfeline
Sep11-11, 11:59 PM
That's the problem with text. I say something, and depending on your mood, you can take as a joke or as an insult. It isn't meant as an insult. I actually have great respect or I wouldn't ask or come back. I don't blame you doubting me tho.

It isn't any different light or dark. The difference is that the static is in front of the darkness instead of the object I'm looking at. But finding out that others don't see something that I see kinda makes me want to know what exactly I'm seeing, and why I'm seeing it. I have to work tomorrow, but the day after, I'll check some places.
Drakkith
Sep12-11, 12:46 AM
PF Gold
That's the problem with text. I say something, and depending on your mood, you can take as a joke or as an insult. It isn't meant as an insult. I actually have great respect or I wouldn't ask or come back. I don't blame you doubting me tho.
Yep. Always make it plainly obvious what you mean or people will take it to mean 100 different things.
Ryan_m_b
Sep12-11, 02:35 AM
Mentor
I see, I agree with Drakkith that this is why it is important to be crystal clear because without body language, tone of voice etc it's very hard to tell. Remember as well that this is an international forum and for some people they may be reading not in their native language.
It isn't any different light or dark. The difference is that the static is in front of the darkness instead of the object I'm looking at. But finding out that others don't see something that I see kinda makes me want to know what exactly I'm seeing, and why I'm seeing it. I have to work tomorrow, but the day after, I'll check some places.
Sounds like CEH to me, one of the common images looks a little like this

Though you should still get it checked out if you're worried.
Greg Bernhardt
Sep12-11, 10:29 AM
Admin
P: 8,542
Quote Quote by ryan_m_b View Post
Sounds like CEH to me, one of the common images looks a little like this

Though you should still get it checked out if you're worried.
I have this. If I really pay attention to my vision there is a slight static or noise. In the dark it is much more noticeable.
Ryan_m_b
Sep12-11, 11:44 AM
Mentor
Quote Quote by Greg Bernhardt View Post
I have this. If I really pay attention to my vision there is a slight static or noise. In the dark it is much more noticeable.
Everyone has this to some extent but its interesting that few people ever remark on it! If you stare at something like a blank wall for a while you will notice it clearly. Though of course it bothers some more than others.

Register to reply