Thermodynamic derivation involving heat capacities

by mcdonkdik
Tags: chemical engineering, maxwell relations, thermodynamics
mcdonkdik
Oct5-11, 06:22 AM
P: 4
I have the answer to this question but I'm finding it hard making sense of it...

Q5) Dervive a relationship relating Cp-Cv to the isothermal compressibility (∂p/∂V)T and the coefficient of thermal expansion (∂V/∂T)p. Hint: consider the intensive entropy S as a function of T and V.

So I've started with S(T, V):

dS = (∂S/∂T)dT + (∂S/∂V)dV

Apparently we take the partial derivative wrt T while holding p(pressure) constant.. then we use a Maxwell relation to remove the partial derivative containing S. Then we use the triple product rule for something.

We end up with:

Cp - Cv = -T(∂p/∂V)T(∂V/∂T)2p

I'd really appreciate it if someone could give me a thorough explanation of how to do this.

Many thanks!
Phys.Org News Partner Engineering news on Phys.org
Researchers propose network-based evaluation tool to assess relief operations feasibility
Large streams of data warn cars, banks and oil drillers
Engineering student developing traffic forecasts
Mapes
Oct5-11, 11:14 AM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
PF Gold
P: 2,532
Hi mcdonkdik, welcome to PF. Nobody's going to solve your problem for you, but if you work through the recommended steps (which constitute the entire solution already!) and show where you get hung up, you'll likely get helpful comments.
mcdonkdik
Oct5-11, 12:36 PM
P: 4
Quote Quote by Mapes View Post
Hi mcdonkdik, welcome to PF. Nobody's going to solve your problem for you, but if you work through the recommended steps (which constitute the entire solution already!) and show where you get hung up, you'll likely get helpful comments.
It's ok, I'm being dumb. This post can be deleted!

Thnx

Register to reply