Question about the first law of thermodynamics

In summary, according to the mathematics, dU = π dV + Cv dT, where π is internal pressure and Cv is the constant volume heat capacity. Meanwhile, according to the 1st law, dU = δ w + δq, when under reversible process, dU = - p dV + C dT. If we compare both, dU = π dV + Cv dT = - p dV + C dT. Since both V and T are free variables, we can get, π = -p and Cv = C. Obvious this is not right result. Based on Maxwell equation: π = T (∂p/
RedCliff
In thermodynamics, the internal energy (U) is the function of the volume (V) and temperature (T), U = U (T).
Therefore, according to the mathematics, dU = π dV + Cv dT, where π is internal pressure and Cv is the constant volume heat capacity.
Meanwhile, according to the 1st law, dU = δ w + δq, when under reversible process, dU = - p dV + C dT.
If we compare both, dU = π dV + Cv dT = - p dV + C dT. Since both V and T are free variables, we can get,
π = -p and Cv = C.
Obvious this is not right result. Based on Maxwell equation:
π = T (∂p/∂T)V -p
Which part is wrong in my derivation?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by a moderator:
Science news on Phys.org
Hi.
1st law of thermodynamics is
[tex]dU=TdS-pdV[/tex]
changing independent parameter pair from (S,V) to (T,S)
[tex]dU=TdS-pdV=T(\frac{\partial S}{\partial T})_V dT + T(\frac{\partial S}{\partial V})_T dV - pdV[/tex]

Hello,
Thank you for your replying! I fully agree with you on this point. If we express dU with all state functions, that is, dU = TdS - pdV, yes, your derivation is correct.

But my question is: what part is wrong in my above derivation as I use dU = -pdV + CdT?

However, you post might provide me a clue to the answer to my question:
I guess it is because C is not a state function but a path function. I remember I once read a paragraph saying the derivation/integration related to path functions are different from those related to state functions. In science, we mostly deal with state functions. Therefore, from dU = π dV + Cv dT = -pdV + C dT, we cannot conclude that
π = -p and Cv = C.

Hi.
Referring to the eauation of my post, the equation you used is correct in case
[tex]T(\frac{\partial S}{\partial V})_T=0[/tex]
I do not think this stands. We should have double energy or entropy for double volume or two similar systems regarded as united one.You may be interested in Helmholtz free energy F=U-TS.
Introducing F, the first law of thermodynanmics is
[tex]dF=dU-TdS-SdT=-pdV-SdT[/tex]
Is the RHS the form you expect?

Last edited:

What is the first law of thermodynamics?

The first law of thermodynamics, also known as the law of conservation of energy, states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or converted from one form to another.

What are the implications of the first law of thermodynamics?

The first law of thermodynamics has several implications, including the fact that the total energy of a closed system remains constant, the transfer of energy can result in changes in temperature, and the efficiency of energy conversion is always less than 100%.

How does the first law of thermodynamics relate to heat and work?

The first law of thermodynamics states that the total energy of a system is equal to the sum of its internal energy, heat, and work. This means that the energy transferred into or out of a system can be in the form of heat or work.

What is an example of the first law of thermodynamics in action?

An example of the first law of thermodynamics in action is a car engine. The fuel is converted into heat energy, which is then converted into mechanical energy to power the car. However, some of the energy is lost as heat and sound, demonstrating the law of conservation of energy.

How does the first law of thermodynamics apply to living organisms?

The first law of thermodynamics applies to living organisms as they also follow the principle of energy conservation. Organisms obtain energy from food and convert it into forms that can be used for various processes, such as growth, movement, and reproduction.