engine cylinder weight and power

by miqoooo
Tags: cylinder, engine, power, weight
miqoooo
Oct8-11, 10:37 AM
P: 2
Can anyone tell me if engine cylinder weight lowers, does it make change in fuel consumption or the power of engine?
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Better thermal-imaging lens from waste sulfur
Hackathon team's GoogolPlex gives Siri extra powers
Bright points in Sun's atmosphere mark patterns deep in its interior
berkeman
Oct10-11, 12:08 PM
Mentor
P: 39,606
Quote Quote by miqoooo View Post
Can anyone tell me if engine cylinder weight lowers, does it make change in fuel consumption or the power of engine?
Welcome to the PF.

Cylinder weight wouldn't have a direct effect on those quantities, I wouldn't think. What is the context of the question?
jack action
Oct10-11, 08:01 PM
P: 521
The power will be the same.

It would not change the fuel consumption per horsepower, but it will change your fuel consumption «per acceleration».

At steady state (like a car cruising at constant speed), engine weight is irrelevant (well, because my example is a car with some rolling resistance, «mostly insignificant» would be more accurate). But when the engine has to accelerate, the heavier the moving parts, the lower the acceleration. If you have to accelerate the engine itself (like in a car), the weight of the entire engine (including block, cylinder head, etc.) is also relevant and it will affect acceleration.

miqoooo
Oct11-11, 01:10 PM
P: 2

engine cylinder weight and power

I don't understand,if the cylinder weight makes difference in fuel consumption, why don't the car producers make the cylinders from carbon?
jack action
Oct11-11, 01:37 PM
P: 521
I don't understand,if the cylinder weight makes difference in fuel consumption, why don't the car producers make the cylinders from carbon?
Cost, reliability. If it was that easy to do, it would have been done a long time ago. But they're getting there:

http://www.agcoauto.com/content/news/p2_articleid/185
http://vincentciulla.suite101.com/gm...anifolds-a7344
Lsos
Oct20-11, 05:25 AM
P: 768
A more fundamental question is why they don't make the whole CAR out of carbon. The answer is that they DO...except these cars tend to cost $1,000,000.

It's an expensive material and process.

Register to reply