Engine cylinder weight and power

In summary: There are also reliability concerns - if you make a mistake in manufacturing a carbon-based cylinder, it's very difficult and expensive to fix.
miqoooo
Can anyone tell me if engine cylinder weight lowers, does it make change in fuel consumption or the power of engine?

Engineering news on Phys.org
miqoooo said:
Can anyone tell me if engine cylinder weight lowers, does it make change in fuel consumption or the power of engine?

Welcome to the PF.

Cylinder weight wouldn't have a direct effect on those quantities, I wouldn't think. What is the context of the question?

The power will be the same.

It would not change the fuel consumption per horsepower, but it will change your fuel consumption «per acceleration».

At steady state (like a car cruising at constant speed), engine weight is irrelevant (well, because my example is a car with some rolling resistance, «mostly insignificant» would be more accurate). But when the engine has to accelerate, the heavier the moving parts, the lower the acceleration. If you have to accelerate the engine itself (like in a car), the weight of the entire engine (including block, cylinder head, etc.) is also relevant and it will affect acceleration.

I don't understand,if the cylinder weight makes difference in fuel consumption, why don't the car producers make the cylinders from carbon?

Last edited by a moderator:
miqoooo said:
I don't understand,if the cylinder weight makes difference in fuel consumption, why don't the car producers make the cylinders from carbon?

A more fundamental question is why they don't make the whole CAR out of carbon. The answer is that they DO...except these cars tend to cost $1,000,000.

It's an expensive material and process.

What is the average weight of an engine cylinder?

The average weight of an engine cylinder can vary depending on the size and type of engine. However, most engine cylinders weigh between 5-15 pounds.

How does the weight of an engine cylinder affect its performance?

The weight of an engine cylinder can affect its performance in several ways. A heavier cylinder can result in a more stable and smoother engine operation, while a lighter cylinder can increase the engine's power-to-weight ratio and improve acceleration.

What is the relationship between engine cylinder weight and power?

The weight of an engine cylinder can impact its power output. Generally, a lighter cylinder can result in a higher power output, while a heavier cylinder may limit the engine's power potential. However, other factors such as engine design and technology also play a significant role in determining power.

How can the weight of an engine cylinder be reduced?

There are several ways to reduce the weight of an engine cylinder. One method is by using lightweight materials such as aluminum or titanium instead of cast iron. Another way is by using advanced manufacturing techniques, such as 3D printing, to create a more lightweight and efficient cylinder design.

Is there an ideal weight for an engine cylinder?

There is no one ideal weight for an engine cylinder as it depends on various factors such as engine size, type, and intended use. However, manufacturers strive to find a balance between weight, performance, and durability to create the most efficient and powerful engine possible.