Propane/Oxygen - from Cylinder to Oxy/Fuel cutting torch

In summary: The tank pressure is the same for all the gas in the tank. You would not be able to tell how much propane is in a tank by looking at the pressure.
martijn_tholen
TL;DR Summary
How to calculate total gas volume for each cylinder based on the consumption ratio of oxy/fuel for cutting torches
For one of our projects we are at present using quite large amounts of gas & oxygen.
What I was trying to figure out was how to calculate the total available amount of gas in a cylinder (be that either Propane/Oxygen or Propylene (Propene)) and then to determine whether or not -given a certain number of cylinders of each- do we have sufficient gas in stock based on their relative consumption ratio.

For example:
we may have 1 oxygen quad (i.e. interconnected cylinders) with 9 cylinders, type: G/G2, with a 50ltr water-volume @ 150bar filling pressure.
we have propane cylinders, type: S/SE, with a 108ltr water-volume @ 10bar filling pressure.
Given that the oxy/fuel consumption ratio when cutting steel for oxygen vs propane is ± 4:1, how many cylinders of propane would I need to end up with an exact ratio between oxygen and propane?

Can I simply use normal gas laws here?
I.e. oxygen, 9 cylinders, each with a volume 50ltr @ 150bar = 67500ltr of oxygen?
and, subsequently for propane, volume 108ltr @ 10 bar = 1080ltr of propane?
i.e. in that case I would need 16 cylinders of propane?
(9 x (150 x 50)) = 67500ltr @ 4:1 = 16875ltr of propane required => 16875 / 1080 = 15.6 = 16 cylinders?

Would that be a correct approach or would I need to take into account a different volume for each gas based on the fact that the propane and oxygen go through a phase transition in the cylinder (i.e. they go from liquid to gas)
Any help would be appreciated.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Propane is stored as a liquid. The amount of propane is measured by weight in small tanks, typically less than 20 lbs or so. Larger tanks, at least in the US, are measured in gallons. A good search term to better understand the relationship is propane temperature pressure. Note that the density of liquid propane can vary by 10% over a typical range of ambient temperatures. The gas volume is calculated from the liquid volume.

You can measure the amount of propane by weighing the tanks if you know the tare (empty) weight of the tank. You can also measure the amount by pouring some hot water down the side of the tank. The tank surface temperature changes at the liquid surface level.

Pressurized oxygen tanks have a stated volume, with typical sizes being 80 or 122 cubic feet for welding oxygen. Oxygen at 150 bar is stored as a pressurized gas. The tank pressure tells how much is in the tank.

• Informative
Likes berkeman

1. What is the purpose of using propane and oxygen in a cutting torch?

The combination of propane and oxygen in a cutting torch creates a high-temperature flame that is capable of melting and cutting through various types of metal. The propane provides the fuel source, while the oxygen helps to increase the intensity of the flame.

2. How are the propane and oxygen delivered to the cutting torch?

The propane and oxygen are typically stored in separate high-pressure cylinders and are connected to the cutting torch through hoses. The gases are then mixed together in the torch before being ignited.

3. Can propane and oxygen be used interchangeably in a cutting torch?

No, propane and oxygen have different properties and cannot be used interchangeably in a cutting torch. Propane has a lower burning temperature and is used as the fuel source, while oxygen helps to increase the temperature of the flame.

4. What safety precautions should be taken when using propane and oxygen in a cutting torch?

It is important to handle propane and oxygen cylinders with care and to always follow the manufacturer's instructions for use. The cylinders should be stored in a well-ventilated area and should never be exposed to high temperatures or flames. It is also important to wear appropriate safety gear, such as gloves and goggles, when operating a cutting torch.

5. How can I properly dispose of empty propane and oxygen cylinders?

Empty propane and oxygen cylinders should be returned to the supplier for proper disposal. It is important to never dispose of these cylinders in regular trash or recycling bins as they can be a safety hazard. Many suppliers offer cylinder exchange programs where you can trade in your empty cylinders for full ones.