Fomites novel

by Kage Kazumi
Tags: disease, fomites, virus
Kage Kazumi
Oct10-11, 03:38 PM
P: 4
PForums,

I am a writer working on a novel and as part of my job is to research the science behind any idea, I have to make sure is it plausible in real life. I did some research about three years ago for the novel I am writing and got the opinion from scientist and medical experts in regard to the fictional disease I have created in my novel.

I know that a Virus (remembered from high school) can survive in the air for about 30sec. My question is, are there any known viruses that can be spread by Fomites.

v/respectfully,
Kage Kazumi
Phys.Org News Partner Medical research news on Phys.org
Pregnancy complications may be more common in immigrants from certain regions
Use of frozen material for fecal transplant successfully treats C. difficile infection
Death rates from pancreatic cancer predicted to rise in Europe in 2014
Ryan_m_b
Oct10-11, 05:14 PM
Mentor
P: 5,351
Quote Quote by Kage Kazumi View Post
PForums,

I am a writer working on a novel and as part of my job is to research the science behind any idea, I have to make sure is it plausible in real life. I did some research about three years ago for the novel I am writing and got the opinion from scientist and medical experts in regard to the fictional disease I have created in my novel.

I know that a Virus (remembered from high school) can survive in the air for about 30sec. My question is, are there any known viruses that can be spread by Fomites.

v/respectfully,
Kage Kazumi
Note that all viruses are different and whilst some may last only minutes in air others may last a lot longer. As for fomites they definitely can spread viruses, here's a list of general characteristics and roles of fomites in viral transmission.
Kage Kazumi
Oct11-11, 11:43 AM
P: 4
Thank you.

v/Respectfully,
Kage

Register to reply