Tags: matter, state
lakshmi
Nov24-04, 02:07 AM
P: 36
what is the 5th state of matter
can aybody explain it
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Better thermal-imaging lens from waste sulfur
Scientists observe quantum superconductor-metal transition and superconducting glass
New technique detects microscopic diabetes-related eye damage
wolverine
Nov24-04, 04:36 AM
P: 11
You must know the 3 states of matter: liquid,solid,gaz, but at hight temerature, you can also find a state called plasma(electrons are free)

The fifth state of matter you're talking about might be the QGP (Quarks and GLuon PLasma).

Scientists believe that QGP is a state where quarks are free (T = 170 Mev and epsilon = 3 GeV per fm^3), as during the first second of our universe.

Many experiments are runing now to prove its existence in Berkeley and Geneva...

I hope it's answers your question ...

Regards
Hurkyl
Nov24-04, 04:51 AM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 16,101
He might be talking about Bose-Einstein condensate.

humanino
Nov24-04, 05:25 AM
P: 2,828

5th state of matter

Unfortunately, it is rather difficult to guess !
google "fifth state of matter"
If you please lakshmi, be more specific.
rayveldkamp
Nov24-04, 08:53 AM
P: 60
I did a 2nd year undergrad uni course in statistical mechanics this semester, and we touched on Bose-Einstein condensation, just by deriving certain temperatures etc.
We were told that the first experimental evidence of B-E condensation was in 1995 where Rubidium atoms were cooled to something like 4x10^-3 K, by using "laser traps"
How does this work?
Entropy
Nov24-04, 09:20 AM
P: 608
Well, basicly you have lasers that hit a group of atoms from all sides and inhibit their movement, effectively dropping their temperature.
loandbehold
Nov24-04, 09:51 AM
P: 13
Quote Quote by rayveldkamp
I did a 2nd year undergrad uni course in statistical mechanics this semester, and we touched on Bose-Einstein condensation, just by deriving certain temperatures etc.
We were told that the first experimental evidence of B-E condensation was in 1995 where Rubidium atoms were cooled to something like 4x10^-3 K, by using "laser traps"
How does this work?
Actually, it's much colder- something like [tex]10^{-7} K[/tex] is more typical.

As for how they did it, take a look at this site. which provides an easy introduction.
dextercioby
Nov24-04, 11:06 AM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
P: 11,863
Quote Quote by wolverine
You must know the 3 states of matter: liquid,solid,gaz, but at hight temerature, you can also find a state called plasma(electrons are free)

The fifth state of matter you're talking about might be the QGP (Quarks and GLuon PLasma).

Scientists believe that QGP is a state where quarks are free (T = 170 Mev and epsilon = 3 GeV per fm^3), as during the first second of our universe.

Many experiments are runing now to prove its existence in Berkeley and Geneva...

I hope it's answers your question ...

Regards
My opinion is that QGP is not anything different than ordinary Fermions+Photons plasma.You just need higher temperatures and energies go get the former.If such a plasma is obtained,then it should be regarded as a confirmation of the Standard Model,just like more "normal" plasma is.
wolverine
Nov25-04, 01:21 AM
P: 11
Hi

I'm agree with you, dextercioby, when you sau that the discovery of QGP will confirm the power of the standart model, but I don't believe it's like a normal plasma.

In QGP, quarks are free, and calculations with lattice QCD show us that there where a phase transition (sign of new state of matter) during the creation of such a plasma.

See you
sameerpaisari
Jun3-10, 08:26 AM
P: 5
is there anything called the supercool state of matter or something..something that happens when water is 0 deg celcius in kelvin temp..?
Dickfore
Jun3-10, 08:35 AM
P: 3,015
Quote Quote by sameerpaisari View Post
is there anything called the supercool state of matter or something..something that happens when water is 0 deg celcius in kelvin temp..?
Ohhh, you are referring to a supercooled liquid. That's still the liquid phase. The only issue is, it exists below the freezing temperature and it is unstable. A small center of crystalization (like a grain of sand or another impurity) will cause the whole water to freeze.
brother time
Jun3-10, 02:05 PM
P: 44
I thought that Quark-Gluon Plasma was the 7th state?
Isn't the Einstein-Bose condensate the 5th?
I know that water can occasionally get to be -10 degrees Celsius without freezing.
cheers, BT
tlr280
May19-11, 11:08 AM
P: 1
There was a nice program on Nova (pbs channel) channel on TV. that covered what you are asking about.

This program discussed a substrate that is formed when elements are cooled to near zero degree K. The particles do not act as separate elements but seem to form a common matter that acts unlike the individual element.

The program mentioned California Berkley as being the 1st site to produce it. They referred to it as the Bose-Einstein condensate (BEC)

here is a link that I found http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/physics...old-atoms.html

I found this to be really interesting as my kids science books do not even mention this 5th matter.

Register to reply