Register to reply

Finding constant velocity,final velocity and acceleration of these cars?

Share this thread:
xod_s
Oct26-11, 06:49 PM
P: 8
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
Two cars go the same distance in a straight line. Car A covers the distance at a constant velocity. Car B starts from rest and maintains a constant acceleration. Both cars cover a distance of 517 m in 215 and are moving in the + direction. Whats the constant velocity of car A as well as the final velocity and acceleration of car B?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Sapphire talk enlivens guesswork over iPhone 6
Geneticists offer clues to better rice, tomato crops
UConn makes 3-D copies of antique instrument parts
PeterO
Oct27-11, 06:02 AM
HW Helper
P: 2,316
Quote Quote by xod_s View Post
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
Two cars go the same distance in a straight line. Car A covers the distance at a constant velocity. Car B starts from rest and maintains a constant acceleration. Both cars cover a distance of 517 m in 215 and are moving in the + direction. Whats the constant velocity of car A as well as the final velocity and acceleration of car B?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
Did you by any chance mean 21 s [seconds] rather than 215 and no units.
xod_s
Oct27-11, 02:07 PM
P: 8
@ PeterO "Did you by any chance mean 21 s [seconds] rather than 215 and no units."
Yes I did.Thank you for pointing that out.It's supoose to be 21 seconds not vaugely 215.Also if it helps I know for sure that the constant velocity of Car A is 2.40 m/s.

PeterO
Oct27-11, 05:55 PM
HW Helper
P: 2,316
Finding constant velocity,final velocity and acceleration of these cars?

Quote Quote by xod_s View Post
@ PeterO "Did you by any chance mean 21 s [seconds] rather than 215 and no units."
Yes I did.Thank you for pointing that out.It's supoose to be 21 seconds not vaugely 215.Also if it helps I know for sure that the constant velocity of Car A is 2.40 m/s.
I hope you really meant 24.6 for the constant velocity.

One of the useful formulae for motion under constant acceleration is

s = (u + v)/2 .t

s = displacement, u = initial velocity, v = final velocity, t = time.

for acceleration zero, u = v so the (u + v)/2 = (v + v)/2 = v

The formula becomes s = vt, which you use to get that 24.6

when an object starts from rest, u = zero, so the formula becomes s = v/2 . t

from that you can get the final velocity.

as for acceleration .. the car reaches that velocity in 21 seconds, so you can divide by 21 to find the acceleration.

Register to reply