Dr. Mae-Wan Ho: Genetisist & Director of ISIS

In summary, Dr. Mae-Wan Ho is a geneticist and the director of the Institute of Science in Society (ISIS), an interest group that campaigns against unethical uses of biotechnology. While she has some publications under her belt, most of her work is unrelated to biotechnology. Additionally, her extreme views and criticism of mainstream research have caused her to be seen as on the fringe of the scientific community.
Gold Barz
Has anyone on here ever heard of Dr. Mae-Wan Ho, she is a geneticist according to her Wikipedia page, she is director of the The Institute of Science in Society (ISIS), an interest group that campaigns against what it sees as unethical uses of biotechnology and has some VERY wild ideas.

The reason I am asking this is because basically I want to know if she is a legit scientist that does legit science because some of her ideas make me think otherwise.

Biology news on Phys.org
She appears to be a legitimate scientist with some extreme views. I've never heard of ISIS and their poor quality website indicated they're probably not a huge organisation. Also flicking through some of their articles show them to be quite critical of a lot of mainstream research. Dr Ho does have some publications under her belt (though I couldn't find a full list) however most of it is unrelated to biotechnology. An article that I did find related to biotech was published by ISIS and so isn't peer reviewed.

I did find a response published in Nature to an opinion piece she wrote in Microbial Ecology in Health and Disease that addresses some of the comments she has made as well as this article that goes over a lot more of the science. I wouldn't say she was a crackpot or anything but she seems to be on the fringe (writing opinion pieces and publishing in non-peer reviewed journals doesn't help).

Last edited:
Yeah "on the fringe" seems about right, thanks Ryan

What is Dr. Mae-Wan Ho's area of expertise?

Dr. Mae-Wan Ho is a geneticist and the director of the Institute of Science in Society (ISIS). She is known for her research on genetics, evolution, and biotechnology.

What is the Institute of Science in Society (ISIS)?

The Institute of Science in Society is an independent non-profit organization that promotes science for social responsibility. It focuses on issues related to genetic engineering, sustainable agriculture, and environmental sustainability.

What are some of Dr. Mae-Wan Ho's notable contributions to the field of genetics?

Dr. Mae-Wan Ho is known for her work on the co-evolutionary theory of the origin of life, which proposes that life and the environment have evolved together. She has also made significant contributions to our understanding of the role of water in living organisms and the importance of holistic approaches to studying genetics.

What are some controversial issues Dr. Mae-Wan Ho has addressed in her work?

Dr. Mae-Wan Ho has been a vocal critic of genetic engineering and its potential risks to human health and the environment. She has also raised concerns about the commercialization and patenting of genetically modified organisms, as well as the lack of transparency and public involvement in decision-making processes related to biotechnology.

What is Dr. Mae-Wan Ho's stance on genetically modified organisms (GMOs)?

Dr. Mae-Wan Ho is a strong advocate for a precautionary approach to the use of GMOs. She believes that more research is needed to fully understand the long-term impacts of genetic engineering on our health and the environment. She also supports the right of consumers to know and choose whether or not to consume GMOs.