Share this thread:
wattsup03
Nov2-11, 07:47 PM
P: 6
Let K = Q(2^(1/4))

a) Which of the morphisms from K to C are Q(2^1/2)-homomorphisms
b) And which are K-homomorphisms?

Attempt at a solution

Ok, I don't really understand this very well but for a) I know that there are 4 homomorphisms, since the minimal polynomial over C has four solutions and there is a bijection between the roots and the homomorphisms. What I don't understand is how I get from the number of homomorphisms to the homomorphisms themselves. If someone could explain that to me I think it would really help.

b) I can't really do b) until I know how to get the homomorphisms

I do not want to push my luck as I would be really happy if someone could give me some pointers on the previous questions, but if there was someone who didn't mind helping out a struggling student any pointers on the following would be greatly appreciated also.

c) Determine the automorphism group Aut(K/Q)
d) Find an element in K that is not in Q and that is fixed by every element of Aut(K/Q)
e) Conclude that K/Q is not Galois
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
FIXD tells car drivers via smartphone what is wrong
Team pioneers strategy for creating new materials
Team defines new biodiversity metric
Deveno
Nov4-11, 03:10 AM
Sci Advisor
P: 906
a) all field homomorphisms are monomorphisms. suppose φ:K→F (where K and F are fields) is a ring homomorphism.

then ker(φ) is an ideal of K (as a ring). but the only ideals K has are {0} and K. now, in a field, we insist that 0 ≠ 1, so the 0-map is not a field homomorphism. that leaves just ker(φ) = {0}, so φ must be injective.

it is not hard to see that for any field morphism of K into C, φ(1) = 1 = 1+0i. this, in turn implies φ maps Q into Q (as the subfield {q+0i, where q is a rational real}).

furthermore φ must map 21/4 to one of the four complex solutions of x4-2 in C. these are 21/4, -21/4, i21/4, -i21/4.

furthermore φ is completely determined by where it sends 21/4, so each of those 4 choices yields an injection of Q(21/4) into C.

b) now, if we require that φ:K→K, then φ(21/4) has to be in Q(21/4). of the 4 roots of x4-2, only two are in Q(21/4), namely:
21/4 and -21/4.

c) this is isomorphic to Z2, we have 2 automorphisms: the identity, and the automorphism that sends 21/4 to -21/4, which is clearly of order 2.

d) √2 will work nicely for this.

e) K is clearly algebraic over Q (and thus separable), but it is not normal. from (a) we see we have embeddings of K in C which are not automorphisms of K. equivalently, note that K has a root of x4-2 (in fact, it has 2) but x4-2 does not split over K.
and yet again, we see that the fixed field of Aut(K/Q) is larger than Q (in fact, it is Q(√2)), so K is not galois over Q.

Register to reply