How Many Homomorphisms Can Be Calculated Between Different Fields?

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of homomorphisms between different fields. It is mentioned that there are no homomorphisms between F2 and F3, and that the number of homomorphisms can be found by looking at the number of roots in a certain field. It is also noted that there may be some difficulties in finding the number of homomorphisms in certain cases.
wattsup03
Hi,

I am trying to calculate the number of homomorphisms from one field to another:

a) F2 ---> F3
b) Q[X]/(X7 - 3) ---> Q[X]/(X8 + 4X5 - 6X + 2)
c) F7 [X] / (X2 + X - 1) ---> F7[X] / (X2 + 1)
d) Q( 21/4 ) ---> C

Attempt at a solution

a) I'm pretty sure there are no homomorphisms between F2 and F3 because if there was a homomorphism f, then f(1+1) = f(0) which does not equal f(1) +f(1) = 2

b) I think I need to see how many roots there are of X7 - 3 in Q[X]/(X8 + 4X5 - 6X + 2) since there is a bijection between that and the number of homomorphisms?

c) Similarly here

d) For this one I think the answer is four (I'm really not sure) because there is a bijection between K-Homomorphisms and the roots of the minimal polynomial of 21/4 in C, which would be 4. And over fields K-homomorphisms are ring homomorphisms?

In all honesty I am pretty stuck, and if anyone could give me any advice that would be fantastic.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
a) I agree
b) I am thinking that a homomorphism f will be uniquely defined by f(x)
Prove it.
But 0 = f(0) = f(x^7 - 3) = f(x)^7 - f(3) = f(x)^7 - 3
and how many solutions does this have?
But I suppose we have to bear in mind that this zero is k(x^8 + 4x^5 - 6x + 2) for any k
c) similar
d) Using this same method would seem to imply the identity is the only homomorphism, but there are 4 K-Homomorphisms as you said, so we are in trouble here

This is still a work in progress for me but I hope it helps

Last edited:
Thanks meandonlyme ,

for b) could I put x7 - 3 into Q[X]/(X8 + 4X5 - 6X + 2)
(which is x7 - 3 still) and then calculate the number of roots in there: 1 since it is over Q.

So there is one root and hence one homomorphism.

Similarly for c) and d)

What is a homomorphism?

A homomorphism is a mathematical function that preserves the structure and operations of a mathematical object, such as a group or a ring. In simpler terms, it maps elements from one mathematical object to another while preserving their properties.

How is the number of homomorphisms calculated?

The number of homomorphisms between two mathematical objects is calculated by finding all possible ways to map the elements of the first object to the elements of the second object while preserving their properties. This can be done by examining the properties of the two objects and determining all the possible combinations.

What is the significance of the number of homomorphisms?

The number of homomorphisms between two mathematical objects can provide valuable insights into the relationship between the two objects. For example, a larger number of homomorphisms may indicate a stronger relationship or similarity between the objects.

Can the number of homomorphisms be negative?

No, the number of homomorphisms cannot be negative. This is because homomorphisms preserve the properties of the mathematical objects they are mapping, and a negative number does not have the same properties as a positive number.

How does the number of homomorphisms relate to other mathematical concepts?

The number of homomorphisms is closely related to other mathematical concepts such as isomorphisms, automorphisms, and endomorphisms. These concepts all involve mapping elements from one mathematical object to another while preserving their properties, but differ in the specific properties that are preserved.