Register to reply

How to teach 2~5 year-old kids talking?

by Saint
Tags: kids, talking, teach, yearold
Share this thread:
Saint
Nov30-04, 06:13 PM
P: 436
Any effective way to teach them to talk?
My children have difficulty in speech,
i need help. Seriously!
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
World's largest solar boat on Greek prehistoric mission
Google searches hold key to future market crashes
Mineral magic? Common mineral capable of making and breaking bonds
franznietzsche
Nov30-04, 06:19 PM
P: 1,783
Spend less time complaining about money and more time talking around them...
dekoi
Nov30-04, 06:24 PM
P: n/a
Quote Quote by franznietzsche
Spend less time complaining about money and more time talking around them...

Anyways, get them away from the television. Try to read to them, make them read (the five year old, if she/he can), and also try to communicate with them more often.

But i am no professional.

Moonbear
Nov30-04, 06:36 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 12,271
How to teach 2~5 year-old kids talking?

I don't know. Between 2 and 5, most parents are more concerned with how to make them stop talking, because it can be nonstop! Spending a lot of time with them, reading, pointing to things, telling them the name of everything they pass and point to then asking them to tell you what it is, that seems to be how they learn. Give them lots of reinforcement when they get words right...clap and praise them and smile and laugh. If they are having serious trouble, you may need to find a speech therapist to work with them, especially if the 5 yr old isn't talking yet. The 2 year old should be talking, but not in full sentences yet, and not understandable by everyone yet.

Some of the people here who are actually parents can probably help more.
Zeteg
Nov30-04, 06:45 PM
P: 71
Get them in front of a video game. Well... okay, maybe that's more for the 5 year olds. I learned to read really really really well from playing FF7, quite a few years ago. Maybe not something like FF7, but some kind of RPG that actually involves a plot. Kids get interested and they want to know what words mean or they get lost :P
Evo
Nov30-04, 07:03 PM
Mentor
P: 26,460
You need to have their hearing checked, if you haven't already. Hearing impairment is the number one cause of speech problems for children. There is a very common problem of fluid in the eustacian tube which causes hearing loss which in turn causes delays in speech development. I've known a lot of children that have had this problem. and the sooner it is corrected, the better.

Here is a link to some information. http://kidshealth.org/parent/medical...nfections.html
Zeteg
Nov30-04, 08:03 PM
P: 71
Indeed, no offence, but it's kind of weird that by the age of two your kids arn't speaking. I believe I spoke when I was a few months old. Of course... not fluently :O I could recite Chinese poems by three or so... so I don't know. Maybe languages are different :)
Astronuc
Nov30-04, 08:24 PM
Admin
P: 21,827
First as Evo pointed out, take the children to a doctor and make sure that there are not physiological conditions that would impair hearing. Hearing tests are usually part of a normal wellness (health assurance, preventative maintenance) program.

Assuming that children can hear and have normal language processing capability, then a parent should read to them every night - one can make it a bedtime ritual.

My wife and I read to both our children when the were little, and yes when one reads the same book several dozen or hundreds of time, it does become a little tedious. Reading the same book though helps the children learn words and pronunciation, inflection, etc.

The Dr. Seuss books (e.g. Cat in the Hat) by Theodor Seuss Geisel, and books by P. D. Eastman, are very good for young children. They also help the children learn to express themselves. Also looks for "Beginner Books" and " Can Read Books". Check the local public library also, which is a good resource for childrens books.
Saint
Nov30-04, 08:44 PM
they can't speak in full sentence,
but they know how to read ABC.. 123, some words like apple, car,cat, etc..
I use flash cards to teach them. Also pointing to real objects.

When i call their names, they will come to me, i think hearing is not a problem.
However, they just can speak to demand something.
Moonbear
Nov30-04, 08:51 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 12,271
Quote Quote by Saint
they can't speak in full sentence,
but they know how to read ABC.. 123, some words like apple, car,cat, etc..
I use flash cards to teach them. Also pointing to real objects.

When i call their names, they will come to me, i think hearing is not a problem.
However, they just can speak to demand something.
That doesn't sound like a problem at all. Actually, it sounds quite normal. That's what kids that age do, they pretty much demand what they want. The next step is to correct them gently to have them ask more politely and learn their manners. When they demand, instruct them to "say please," and then don't give them what they want until they say "please."
Astronuc
Nov30-04, 08:57 PM
Admin
P: 21,827
The books provide simple but complete sentences. When one reads and says the words while pointing to objects or actions, then one provides context to the child. One can also ask questions of the child, as in "What would you do or say in this situation or if you were [the character in the story]".

ABC's and numbers are very basic. Books (with narratives) provide stories and more complex and stimulating context.

Look for books at http://www.kidsreads.com/, which provides reviews on children's books for all ages.

Another P. D. Eastman book is "Are You My Mother?", a short story about a baby bird in search of his/her mother, who has temporarily left the nest in search of food.

I can recommend other books if one is interested.
Evo
Nov30-04, 08:58 PM
Mentor
Saint, children with speech problems related to hearing can hear, they can hear you call them, they can listen to tv, radio, etc..., but they can't hear clearly and it affects speech development. They may be able to catch words, but not hear enough to be able to form complete sentences.

If you don't think they have hearing problems. How active are your children? They could have a form of Attention Deficit Disorder.

Take them to a doctor and have them thoroughly evaluated, rule out any health causes first.
Evo
Nov30-04, 08:59 PM
Mentor
Quote Quote by Astronuc
The books provide simple but complete sentences. When one reads and says the words while pointing to objects or actions, then one provides context to the child. One can also ask questions of the child, as in "What would you do or say in this situation or if you were [the character in the story]".

ABC's and numbers are very basic. Books (with narratives) provide stories and more complex and stimulating context.

Look for books at http://www.kidsreads.com/, which provides reviews on children's books for all ages.

Another P. D. Eastman book is "Are You My Mother?", a short story about a baby bird in search of his/her mother, who has temporarily left the nest in search of food.

I can recommend other books if one is interested.
Saint lives in Malaysia.
JasonRox
Nov30-04, 09:32 PM
HW Helper
PF Gold
P: 2,327
Attention Disorders are growing rapidly nowadays.
tribdog
Nov30-04, 09:33 PM
P: 693
Get your butt off the computer and go talk to them. period. end of discussion. talk to them and they will learn to talk to you.
JasonRox
Nov30-04, 09:37 PM
HW Helper
PF Gold
Why not spank them?

According to the previous thread, this works.
Saint
Nov30-04, 09:37 PM
Sometimes the 2 year-old one, like to spin around and laugh, stimulate himself, is this abnormal?
JasonRox
Nov30-04, 09:40 PM
HW Helper
PF Gold
Quote Quote by Saint
Sometimes the 2 year-old one, like to spin around and laugh, stimulate himself, is this abnormal?
Again, according to the previous thread about sex you should KNOW.

Register to reply