Register to reply

Is Dog/Animal Rabies Vaccine Dangerous to Humans ?

Share this thread:
CZealot
Nov5-11, 09:30 PM
P: 2
A friend of mine was giving his dogs preventative shots of Rabies Vaccine himself due to his village's remote location and no veterinatians in the region.
The skin on his hands was exposed to a drops of vaccine while he was administering the syringe. No cuts, scratches etc, just a drop of liquid vaccine which was later washed away with a soap.
He consulted his veterinarian in the city, who said its nothing to worry about. Especially because no cuts or scratches were present. But I wanted to recheck for him on the web.

During my research every single website said that the vaccine cannot cause rabies as it is made from dead rabies virus. But the sources were providing the information in context of human vaccine effect on humans and animal vaccine effect on animals. This particular case is about animal vaccine effect on humans.

So the question is - may Dog/Animal Rabies Vaccine be Dangerous to Humans when exposed to undamaged human skin ?

I understand the question may not be adequately formulated or this is not the right place to ask it. But I would appreciate any information you could provide.
Thank you in advance.
Phys.Org News Partner Medical research news on Phys.org
Time of arrival at hospital impacts time to treatment and survival of heart attack patients
Informal child care significantly impacts rural economies, study finds
Generation of tanners see spike in deadly melanoma
Monique
Nov6-11, 03:08 AM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 4,642
Why do you think the vaccine could be dangerous? The virus in a vaccine is inactivated and this should be checked for each batch before it is marketed. Since we do not have any further details about the particular vaccine in question, we can't say much more.

If you really want to know for certain, contact the manufacturer and ask about the regulations.

Also, the skin needs to be broken or the virus needs to touch mucous membranes in order to establish an infection, look at the following Occupational Health Form: http://www.bu.edu/rohp/files/2011/09...st-31-2011.pdf
CZealot
Nov6-11, 02:18 PM
P: 2
Thank you for a reply Monique.
The reason I'm asking this question is because I am not sure if a Dog/Animal Vaccine is dangerous to Humans.
I will find out the manufacturer and check with them.
Thanks again.

Register to reply