Register to reply

Any difference between acidic and alkaline water?

by oem7110
Tags: acidic, alkaline, difference, water
Share this thread:
oem7110
Nov12-11, 10:59 PM
P: 151
Acidic water (pH 4-6) is carrying positive charges and alkaline water(pH 9.5) is carryiing negative charges.
Does anyone have any suggestions on what relationship is between pH and carrying charges?
Thanks in advance for any suggestions?
Phys.Org News Partner Chemistry news on Phys.org
Ice cream goes Southern, okra extracts may increase shelf-life
The fluorescent fingerprint of plastics
Researchers develop models to study polyelectrolytes, including DNA and RNA
DaveC426913
Nov12-11, 11:09 PM
P: 15,319
Quote Quote by oem7110 View Post
Acidic water (pH 4-6) is carrying positive charges and alkaline water(pH 9.5) is carryiing negative charges.
Does anyone have any suggestions on what relationship is between pH and carrying charges?
Your question is confusing, since you state the answer in your question.

Alkaline water, with a low pH, is high in negative ions, such as OH. Acidic water is high in positive ions, such as H.
symbolipoint
Nov13-11, 12:35 AM
HW Helper
PF Gold
P: 2,813
Water which is acidic will have as much negative charge as positive (H+) charge.
Water which is alkaline will have as much positive charge as negative (OH-) charge.

oem7110
Nov13-11, 09:50 AM
Any difference between acidic and alkaline water?

Quote Quote by symbolipoint View Post
Water which is acidic will have as much negative charge as positive (H+) charge.
Water which is alkaline will have as much positive charge as negative (OH-) charge.
When I drink acidic water, what kinds of chemical reaction do we get for positive (H+) charges within my body?

When I drink alkaline water, what kinds of chemical reaction do we get for negative (OH-) charges within my body?

Does anyone have any suggestions?
Thanks everyone very much for any suggestions
Borek
Nov13-11, 10:30 AM
Admin
P: 23,536
Key term that you should learn is "neutralization".

First, check what is pH in your stomach. That should help you understand what happens any high pH liquid you drink.

Second, check what is a pancreatic juice and what role does it play. That should help you understand what happens to low pH liquids.
oem7110
Nov14-11, 07:47 AM
Quote Quote by Borek View Post
Key term that you should learn is "neutralization".

First, check what is pH in your stomach. That should help you understand what happens any high pH liquid you drink.

Second, check what is a pancreatic juice and what role does it play. That should help you understand what happens to low pH liquids.
"The pH of your stomach is very acidic it ranges between 1.5-3pH, it is maintained by hydrochloric acid (HCL) and gastrin. A specific enzyme, pepsin, is activated and works best on digesting proteins in the acidic environment."

When I drink any alkaline water with empty stomach, there should not have any process for neutralization, because there is nothing to be digested. so what kinds of chemical reaction do we get for negative (OH-) charges within my body?

"Pancreatic juice contains enzymes that (1)complete the digestion of starch(pancreatic amylase); (2)carry out about half of protein digestion(via the action of trypsin,chymotrypsin,carboxypeptidase), (3)are totally responsible for fat digestion because the pancreas is essentially the only source of lipases; and (4)digest nucleic acids(nucleases)."

Does Pancreatic juice increase when I drink acidic water within my body?

Thanks everyone very much for any suggestions
Borek
Nov14-11, 08:04 AM
Admin
When I drink any alkaline water with empty stomach, there should not have any process for neutralization
I told you to learn what neutralization is, apparently you tried to avoid this step.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neutralization_(chemistry)
CrimpJiggler
Dec1-11, 02:21 PM
P: 149
pH is a measure of the amount of positive charges. The p means -log though so its a kind of reverse measurement. Higher pH means less positive charges. When you get above pH 7 then there are no more positive charges and negative charges start forming.
Borek
Dec1-11, 02:47 PM
Admin
Quote Quote by CrimpJiggler View Post
pH is a measure of the amount of positive charges. The p means -log though so its a kind of reverse measurement. Higher pH means less positive charges. When you get above pH 7 then there are no more positive charges and negative charges start forming.
Geez, you apparently have a bad day. Nothing you wrote is true. Every solution is electrically neutral, so amount of positive charges is always identical to the amount of negative charges, no matter if pH is high or low.

Register to reply