by chriswilson
Tags: entropy, melting
Share this thread:
chriswilson
Nov21-11, 03:17 AM
P: 3
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
Calculate the entropy change when 1 mole of ice at 268 K is melted to form water at 323 K. The heat capacity of ice is 3.8 J K-1 kg-1 and that of water is 75 J K-1 kg-1. The enthalpy of fusion of ice at 273 K is 6.02 kJ mol-1.

I know the entropy change by the melting of the ice is given by

delta(S)=delta(Q)/T

and that this is worked out by the enthalpy of fusion.

My question is how do I calculate the entropy change caused by the change in temperature since it is not at a constant temperature does this mean the first equation cannot be used?

Also this isn't a homework question it is an exam question from a previous year and my exam is tomorrow.

Not sure whether this should be in here or in other sciences catagory
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
FIXD tells car drivers via smartphone what is wrong
Team pioneers strategy for creating new materials
Team defines new biodiversity metric
gneill
Nov21-11, 06:59 AM
Mentor
P: 11,685
Quote Quote by chriswilson View Post
Calculate the entropy change when 1 mole of ice at 268 K is melted to form water at 323 K. The heat capacity of ice is 3.8 J K-1 kg-1 and that of water is 75 J K-1 kg-1. The enthalpy of fusion of ice at 273 K is 6.02 kJ mol-1.
I think your heat capacity units should be J K-1 mol-1, and the value for ice should be 38, not 3.8.
I know the entropy change by the melting of the ice is given by

delta(S)=delta(Q)/T

and that this is worked out by the enthalpy of fusion.

My question is how do I calculate the entropy change caused by the change in temperature since it is not at a constant temperature does this mean the first equation cannot be used?
For a given molar quantity M of substance with heat capacity constant C, the total heat held by the substance at absolute temperature T is

Q = M*C*T

Differentiating:

dQ = M*C*dT

So your equation for the change in entropy becomes an integral over the temperature change.

Register to reply